Epilogue - 2

Epilogue Part Two

Everything Has Changed

Nathaniel stood in the kitchen, stirring the eggs in the bowl he had in his hands. He had woken up early, careful to let his sister still sleep. He left the house and went outback where his father had built a little coop for the chicken. Nathaniel took a couple of eggs and brought them back into the house to cook them in the kitchen. When he walked downstairs, he had seen his father asleep on the couch. He remembered the conversation he had with his sister, and gave his sleeping father a sympathetic look.

When he came back, his father was gone and the blanket was neatly folded onto the couch.

The only recipe he knew to make were, very simply, scrambled eggs. Nathaniel poured the yolk into a pan and let it turn to scrambled eggs over the fire. He stirred continuously, and soon enough, he had made four plates of scrambled eggs, all topped with sliced tomatoes he had picked that very morning.

"Tobias?" A tired voice called out. Nathaniel looked up and saw his mother coming down the stairs. She slowly walked to the kitchen and tilted her head when she saw her son instead. "Nathan?"

"Hi Mom," he said with a wide grin. He pushed one of the plates forward. "I made breakfast."

Beatrice smiled, walking around the kitchen counters and squeezing her son's cheek. "They look great, Nathan. Did you make them yourself?"

He nodded proudly. "Yup. I went and got the eggs myself, and I sliced the tomatoes myself."

"I have to say I'm surprised. You and your sister don't come near the kitchen unless it's to complain that you're hungry or to get your plate. Why the sudden change of spirit?"

Well, Mom, I was feeling guilty for causing a fight between you and Dad, he would have. "You haven't been feeling well, and I wanted to ease your mind for breakfast at least."

His mother smiled. Beatrice looked over her shoulder over to the couch and was surprised when she didn't see her husband sleeping there. Instead, she saw the blanket he used folded and the couch neatly tucked in. "Where's your father?"

"I'm not sure. He came down and, I guess, took a nap on the couch. When I came back he was gone." Nathan played dumb.

She nodded, taking a long pause before continuing. "Well, you needn't worry. He's probably fine."

It was clear that Beatrice was saying that because to comfort herself more than her son. Kristine would have understand and would have stopped the conversation there, but Nathaniel didn't quite get the hint. "Oh, Mom, I'm not worried. He's probably with Pete."

Beatrice chuckled and stroked her son's cheek before telling him to go wake his sister up. As he left, she walked over to the window, pulling the robe around her closer to her body. She turned her head left and right to try and find a trace of her husband, but he wasn't in her line of vision.

Although she really shouldn't have, Beatrice exited the door and walked across the lawn to Abby and Pete's house. She coughed a couple of times on her way, sometimes stopping to recuperate her breath. Nevertheless, she made it to the doorsteps and knocked, waiting for a reply.

The door opened and Eve had shown herself. Eve smiled and invited Beatrice inside, closing the door behind. "My mom is in the kitchen," Eve said. Beatrice thanked her and walked over to the kitchen, who Abby was surprise to see walking.

"You should be resting. You're sick." Abby said, putting down the plate she was making.

"Good morning to you too. I came here asking if you had seen my husband this morning?" Beatrice asked.