Chapter Seven

Who did he think he is? Choosing my fate? I'm the heir to this kingdom-to this castle. I decide who will be my queen, not my father, Tobias thought to himself.

Tobias stomped in the garden, his hands at the bottom of his pockets. He walked toward the table where Princess Lauren sat on the table, her long dress hitting the ground. She looked up at the sky, her sunset-colored hair tied up with a bow in a neat bun on the top of her head.

Once she spot him, Lauren smiled and walked toward him. Reluctantly, he lifted his arm for her to slip hers around. She rested her head against his shoulder, commencing her drawled out stories about everything that came to mind.

All Tobias could think about was his encounter with Beatrice, notably about their encounter in the hall. She seemed so distraught, like she had seen a ghost, and he desperately wanted to help and comfort her. But, then again, it was not as if Beatrice would ever open up to a prince. She is most certainly afraid of me and my status, he reminded himself.

Tobias thought of her more - her soft skin, her mesmerizing eyes, her perfectly curled lips, her body...the way their bodies collided against each others in the hall. The way his arms instinctively wrapped around her, almost like he was meant to do that for the rest of time.

"Prince Tobias? Are you listening to me?" Lauren interrupted.

"Mmhmm," Tobias responded.

"Anyways..."  she rambled again, continuing her stories about herself.

"As I was saying, I was thinking of running away..." Beatrice finished, looking up at Tobias for an answer. "I know it's a lot, and you have your duties here, but we could be happy somewhere else..."

"Together," Tobias finished for her.

She smiled. "Together."

He turned her around and looked her deep in the eyes. "Have I ever told you how much I love you, Beatrice?"

She giggled softly and rolled her eyes. "You've only told me about a thousand times, Tobias."

And with those words, Tobias placed his palms on the sides of her face before leaning in and giving her a long, sweet kiss.

"Tobias..." She murmured as he continued to kiss her.

"Tobias..."

"Prince Tobias!" the un-sweet and sour sound of Lauren's voice filled Tobias' ears once more. He groaned to himself, remembering his reality, and not the one he was just daydreaming about. "My dear prince, are you even listening to me?"

"Yes, Lauren, I am. I'm listening. Please, continue," Tobias assured.

Why did this girl fill my thoughts so entirely? Tobias complained silently, closing his eyes to think. There seems to be no explanation as to why the image of her induces daydreams! She plagues my mind!

A group of servants walked past them, pausing in their presence. They bowed together, pronouncing their greetings. Lauren smiled, content with the sight of being reminded of her importance compared to others in society. Tobias found himself having the opposite reaction; the sight of servants bowing to him so naturally made him sick to his stomach. 

She leaves me distressed!

"Your servants are all so well mannered," Lauren compliments. "I wish ours were as obedient."

"You should ask my father how he instills them with fear," he replied. "I am certain he would be most entertained by such a topic of conversation."