Chapter Four

"This is where we eat," Christina explained as she opened big doors to a huge cafeteria. "This is isolated from the Royals, so you won't be seeing them unless you're cleaning."

Beatrice and Christina moved along down a flight of stairs. As they walked down, a young man walked up to them in near-identical clothing - what with his uniform being pants and a shirt while Christina and Beatrice wore dresses. He smiled at Christina and stopped in front of her.

"Christina," he greeted.

"Will," she replied, pressing her lips together to stop a smile from appearing on her face. "This is my best friend, Beatrice."

Will extended his hand. "I haven't seen you around here before. How long have you worked here?"

"Oh, around two hours," Beatrice joked. "Tomorrow is my first day."

Will laughed with her and looked up at Christina. "You're that desperate for friends that you'll call the first nice girl that walks through the doors your best friend?" he teased.

Christina smiled mimicking him as she placed her arm around Beatrice. 

"Where did you come from, Beatrice?" Will asked, his smile persistent from before. 

"Christina and I grew up in the same village. I accepted the first post available in the castle," She explained.

"Are you working in the kitchen with Christina?" he inquired.

"No, no," she smiled. "I'm the new servant for the prince."

Will's eyes widened as he let out a breath. "Good luck to you, then. I've heard he can be quite ... the handful."

Christina scoffed. "Will, don't discourage her," she turned to her friend. "Will is only speaking of illegitimate, unproven rumors about the prince and his previous servant."

"I'd hardly call them rumors; the handmaidens were practically confirming it!" he countered with a smile. 

"Handmaidens?" Beatrice asked. 

"They work for the Queen - dressing her, getting her ready. Because they are so closely in contact with the highest members of royalty, their gossip is more often than not factual," Christina explained. 

Beatrice nodded. "And you, Will? What is your post?"

"I'm a Page Boy," he beamed. "For the King, nothing less."

Christina laughed. "Humble yourself, Will. You're forced to follow the King around like a puppy all day. At least Beatrice and I have more freedom during our time here."

They both laughed, although Beatrice was certain she would not be able to laugh with them just yet. She noticed that her best friend was already incredibly comfortable within the castle walls; something she hoped she would be able to achieve soon as well. 

"I won't keep you waiting any longer," Will announced, nodding to Beatrice. "It was lovely to meet you. I'll see you around the cafeteria," he glanced to Christina and smiled. "Christina."

"Goodbye, Will," She replied slowly turning her head to watch him leave behind a corner.

"He seems nice," Beatrice commented. 

"He's insufferable and terrible," Christina joked. "He's very kind. Not so humble, but kind."

They both walked down a flight of stairs to another dark hallway full of doors. Christina searched for a number before sighing contentedly and opening the one across. She walked in, allowing Beatrice to follow.