Chapter Nine

Tobias waited at the top of the stairway leading down to the basement - the servant quarters. 

He had the intention of waiting for Beatrice to explain his behavior, and, possibly, tell her that he did not mean to say he cared about her. 

The moonlight cascaded into the hallway at the top of the stairs. Tobias walked around to seem inconspicuous - he knew how strange it would appear seeing a prince lurking above the stairs of the servant quarters. 

A door opened, gaining his attention. He looked down and saw the figure of a servant walking up the steps. He stepped back, lying against the wall, his heart beating. 

He glanced to the side and saw none other than Beatrice reach the foot of the steps. She moved her hair to one shoulder, gripping the locks. 

How could I ever tell myself that I did not care for her? He wondered, his body leaving the wall and walking unconsciously toward her. 

Beatrice turned at the sound of footsteps and stepped back at the sight of the prince. She let out a sigh as she diverted her path away from him.

"Beatrice, let me explain," Tobias rushed out, walking behind her.

Her duty to serve the crown overpowered any desire she might have had to ignore the prince. With a silent curse, Beatrice whipped around and bowed before him. "Your Highness, how many I serve you?"

"Stand up straight," Tobias asked quickly, cringing at the sight of seeing her bow to him. He never wanted her to treat him of a different class. 

Beatrice slowly straightened herself. Her eyes met Tobias' and, in a heap of sudden emotions, she lowered her head to avoid his gaze. "Would you like something cleaned?"

"Please, Beatrice," Tobias begged silently and made sure no one was around to overhear. "Please, talk to me."

Her eyes displayed nothing but pain as they met his once more. Beatrice sighed, lowering her guard. "Your Highness, to avoid further complications, we should keep our conversations strictly professional," she lowered her head to cover her quivering lip. "I can't risk this job."

When he did not answer, Beatrice turned around and walked away. She inhaled deeply, her hand rested on her beating chest. 

Tobias watched her leave before he shook his head, determined to reach and speak with her.

"Where are you going?" Tobias called out, catching up to her. 

Oh, I'm just about to go think about being a secret agent while keeping a job as a servant and protecting you and your family, of course, she thought to herself. "I was planning on taking a walk."

"I love walks."

Beatrice stopped walking, turning around to face the prince. 

When she did not answer, he continued, "Why not join me instead?"

"Excuse me?" She finally said.

"I am headed outside toward the garden. I know a great walking place. Would you allow me the pleasure of accompanying you?"

Her eyes went wide.

"That would be terribly inappropriate on my part," she squeaked.

"It doesn't have to be," he took her arm and turned her around so she would face him. "I am just accompanying a young woman on her walk. That is all it has to be."

Beatrice looked around and was grateful for the solitude they had found themselves in. She sighed and stepped forward, her body slightly shaking. "You're going to come with me either way, aren't you?"