Chapter Twenty

A single tear rolled down Beatrice's cheek as the minister in front of her concluded his speech. 

She had promised herself she would not cry for Christina's sake, seeing as her best friend was more emotionally unstable than Beatrice was. Christina clung to her best friend's arm as she too stared at the minister, who placed a black rose on the coffin in front of him. 

Everyone bowed their heads for a moment of silence, but Beatrice found herself too frozen in time to react. She turned her head to find Tobias, on the other side of the room, looking at her.

It had been two weeks since Beatrice was finally released from the hospital wing. Tomorrow, the servants would return back to their jobs. A month after the attack, Tobias demanded there be a collective funeral for the lives that were lost. A single, symbolic coffin. 

Instantaneously after she was released, Beatrice left the castle to visit her family back in the village. Upon her return, her mother overjoyed at the sight of her. Her father spoke about the attack often during her stay, having read about it in the newspaper. She decided she would not disclose her participation in the attack and her role as a soldier, nor would she reveal the true extent of her injuries. During her stay, she debated whether or not to tell her family about her relationship with Tobias, but concluded they would not understand.

And, perhaps, there was a part of her that was not ready to go public with their relationship.

While Beatrice grappled with a relationship that was becoming all the more real, Tobias was determined to publicise it among his own parents. His relationship with his mother grew strenuous when he chose to ignore her warnings. True to her word, Evelyn did not disclose the relationship to her husband, nor did she have any intention of doing so; she did not wish to see her son punished, but wanted him to see her point of view.

Marcus, oblivious to the whole thing, regarded his son's relationship to his servant as an attachment because she had intervened in their hostage and saved them. He struggled with the idea that he was endebted to a servant; because of her, he was able to kill Eric. Nevertheless, the kingdom received a multitude of financial support following the attack - much more than the repairs required. He was also given land that belonged to the Emperor. 

To the King, the attack was the best thing to happen.

To others, however, it was a complete nightmare; figuratively and literally.

The funeral was being held under an arch with a tent above it to keep from the sun. All the servants were present, listening to the minster say his piece. Christina held a tissue to her face as Will rubbed her back slowly for comfort. The Royal family stood in solidarity, knowing their lives were saved due to the lives lost fighting for their protection. 

Beatrice glanced beside her at Christina and Will and longed to be beside Tobias once more. Following her dismissal from the hospital wing and her immediate leave back to the village, she had only just returned today for the funeral. She had not had the chance to be with Tobias yet, and she missed him terribly.

How different will it be now that we've confessed our feelings to one another, she pondered often

Her focus soon came back to reality when the minister began reading the names of the servants who had died. Christina whimpered softly when he said Tori's name, and Beatrice looked anywhere but the coffin when he said Albert's. 

With the help of two maintenance workers, they lowered the coffin into the ground. The minister took a handful of dirt in his hands and threw it in the hole as servants lined up to do the same.

When Christina had left the castle on leave, Will spent each night in her bedroom. He sat on her bed, overwhelmed with extreme guilt for having forgotten to protect her that dreadful morning. He wallowed in self-hatred, tormented by the thoughts of what would had happened had Beatrice not gone after Christina in the end. He and Christina lied awake at night side by side, unable to sleep. 

The servants lined up to fill the whole with dirt. Waiting until she was the last one, Beatrice made her way to the coffin. She took a deep breath and grabbed a handful of dirt. She rose her hand and opened it, letting the dry brown pebbles to run through her fingers and onto the coffin. The maintenance workers picked up their shovels and began covering the hole. 

Evelyn stared at Beatrice. Her feelings of resentment lied more with her son than with the servant; in her eyes, it was Tobias at fault for the relationship. Who wouldn't want a relationship with a prince, she asked herself. 

Tobias stayed miserably by his parents' side, wanting desperately to reunite with Beatrice. He turned to his father. "We should go thank her."

Marcus furrowed his brows. 

"She did save us," he reminded. "Without her, who knows what our fate would have been."

Evelyn glanced at her husband, knowing he was going to start arguing. Before he could open his mouth, she quickly made her way toward Beatrice, reaching for her shoulder. Startled, Beatrice whipped around and froze at the sight of the Queen. She bowed quickly, greeting her. 

"Your Highness," she greeted.

"I came to thank you," Evelyn said as Tobias and Marcus approached. "Your service during the attack is one I am most grateful of."

Beatrice looked up and nodded. "Of course."

Evelyn looked at her husband and widened her eyes, urging him to say something. Marcus cleared his throat and nodded slowly. "Yes, your service is most ... appreciated."

Perhaps Tobias' father has changed since the attack, Beatrice thought, surprised he had chosen to speak to her. "It was an honor."

Evelyn smiled and turned to leave, her husband by her side. She looked over her shoulder and noticed her son at stayed. I will draft an offer for the young servant to return home and continue to be paid for the rest of time - perhaps she will be the answer in terminating their relationship, she plotted. 

As the couple left, Evelyn faltered in her step, falling against her husband. Marcus quickly caught her, holding her against him. 

"Evelyn?" He asked quickly. "What has happened?"

Evelyn shut her eyes closed and endured the pain before it abruptly stopped and she looked back up at her husband. "I am fine."

Marcus sighed and placed her arm around his, offering her to lean her head against his shoulder. "Come, Evelyn. Let us rest for a bit."

Tobias smiled at the sight of Beatrice, finally alone. She smield back at him, placing a hand on his arm. She did not mean to, it was like a reflex, but when they touched they felt their undying sensation of being together all over again. 

"When did you arrive?" he asked slowly.

"This morning," she answered. "I came straight away to the service."

He sighed and reached for her face, sighing. "I missed you terribly, Beatrice."

Beatrice laughed softly, leaning into his touch. "I missed you more."

"Impossible," he smiled, bringing her close to him as he connected his lips with hers. 

She held to him as they kissed. The weight of the past month collapsed between them, leaving nothing but bliss. 

As they parted, Beatrice leaned into his chest, wrapping her arms around him. Tobias mimicked her, holding her tight against him as he pressed a kiss to her head.