Chapter Thirty Six

The stubbly grass poked the disturbed prince awake.

Tobias groaned as he shifted his back, resting his head to the side. He felt the weight of another on his arm, still. Beatrice... he smiled, reaching out his finger to stroke the hair of the woman beside him.

Like a fever, the woman turned around and looked to Tobias, which only made his stomach drop. He quickly retracted his hand from underneath her, pressing it to his mouth as he scrambled away.

"Tobias?" the woman, now recognizable as Lauren, inquired. She reached out to him but paused at the sight of his fear. "Did you get startled by something, dear?"

He sneered at her, confused by her words. "Should I remind you to address me by my title?"

Lauren flinched. She looked away. I thought after having spent the night together his shy and distant attitude would have perished! Why has he not grown more comfortable in my presence? "Your Highness, my apologies," she corrected. 

He glanced at her, only just now noticing her exposed skin - far more exposed than when she had found him last night. "What happened?" he asked her.

"Do you not remember?" she asked, her voice pained. "We-"

"No," he cut her off, raising his hand to silence her. "We could not have. I..." the syllable drawled into the wind as he caught his breath, shaking his head. The remembrance of last night flooded his mind - his careless acts, mixed with the memories of his beloved, made his head spin in circles.

"It is alright," she offered, resting her hand atop thigh. "It does not matter what we have done, for all would be forgiven once we marry."

He shivered, moving away from her. "Do not say such careless things, Lauren," he shook his head. "I will not marry you."

Lauren gasped, hurt. "What?! Prince Tobias, you professed your love to me last night!" she groaned. "This timid persona is growing quite old!"

"I did no such thing!" he countered.

"Yes, you did!" she fired back. "Twice!"

Tobias covered his mouth with his hand, thinking over his actions of last night. He had no doubt that he had professed his love, but it was to the image of Beatrice, certainly not to Lauren. 

Alas, what was he to say? That he had conjured up Beatrice in his arms and spoke to her? 

With such information, what could she do to hurt him through another heartbreak of his doing? Again? 

Her knowledge of Beatrice and what she meant to him would surely be used against him. To force him into her grasp. To ruin his reputation and turn his kingdom against him, if he would not comply with her demands.

Lauren stared at the prince, seemingly thinking over the same things. She looked down at her hand and imagined the ring he would place on her finger, happy as could be. 

"Lauren..." Tobias began, hiding his shaking hand. 

"Oh, my dear," she said softly, reaching out for his face. She smiled when he made no movement to separate themselves again, knowing effectively that they were on the same page. "We are meant for one another. I love you too, and I always have. Since your first enchanting letter. Since our first meeting."

A letter composed by my father, he thought to himself.

"I know you are in pain, but it will be alright now that I am here. Company is sorrow's best friend."

He sneered, turning away from her touch. 

"I will be your wife," she promised, reaching persistently to take his chin in her fingers, guiding him to look at her. "I will help you heal."