Chapter Thirty Eight

Guards were posted every around the prince's surroundings. 

Initially, there were four at his bedroom door, sealing him inside once more. Tobias had attempted to escape through the balcony, but was unsuccessful. Since then, there were two guards posted at his balcony and others who surveyed the surrounding area below.

All in an effort to keep the prince alive until his wedding day.

Tobias groaned, stirring in his sheets. The damn wedding, he reminded himself. The day I sell my soul to my father and Lauren.

While most grooms were busy with preparations and parties celebrating the end of his bachelor life, Tobias enjoyed the solitude of his bedroom. He wished to see no one.

The servant who brought him his food three times a day was also tasked with telling him of what was going on in the castle. 

Today, the servant came in eagerly, seemingly happy. "Your Highness," she began as she set the tray on his nightstand. "You will be pleased to know that Princess Lauren and her family have arrived."

Tobias turned away. "How would that bring me any pleasure?"

She stumbled. "Y-Your wedding is t-tomorrow, Your Highness," she stuttered. 

He flicked his hand, sending her away. She bowed and retreated, confused at the prince's reaction. 

Tobias stood and walked over to his dresser, staring at the ceremonial items he was to wear for the wedding. A pair of gloves, special cufflinks, his crown...

What stupid items, he thought bitterly, clenching his fist. I will never understand why they have such important value...they are but different sizes of restraints

News of the prince's attempt spread around the castle quickly, but was then banned, enforced by the patrolling guards. Servants stopped gossiping and carried out their duties in silence, fearing reprimanding for speaking of what had happened to the prince in that pond.

Nevertheless, there were always those that would know everything, and those who did not have access. Such is the case of the kitchen staff, who were always the last servants to know anything of importance that occurred in the castle.

Christina stirred the batter of the cake bitterly, annoyed she was in such a position to have to make the cake for her best friend's lover's marriage to another.

Will was by her side, tasting every mix she concocted. The King was so distant and absent that his duties fell short these past couple of days, allowing him more time to be with Christina while she worked. 

"If you are going to be here, you might as well help," she teased quietly with a smile.

He chuckled and stood. "You should know I am a terrible cook."

She grabbed the rolling pin and grinned, handing it to him. "Lucky for you, this requires little skill."

The atmosphere between the two was pleasant until a servant came rushing through. The servant propped down a large binder, panting due to its weight. 

He skimmed through the pages and pointed at a decorated wedding cake. "The princess would like her wedding cake to look as such," he told Christina before rushing away.

Christina gritted her teeth and bent down to examine the cake. A bit tacky if I do say so myself, she thought. "I can't believe he is getting married already," she muttered. "Beatrice didn't deserve this."

The subject of Beatrice's death was difficult for Christina. Although she preferred to keep her mourning in private, she could not help finding herself day after day in front of Beatrice's bedroom door. The room was rumored to be haunted by her ghost, which only meant Christina was able to peacefully go inside with no interruptions.