Chapter Eleven

Evelyn stirred awake, looking around at her surroundings. She groaned at the feel of the mattress below her, burying her face in her pillow. 

 She turned and saw one of her handmaids nearby, waiting patiently for her to wake up. She beckoned her over with her finger. 

"Your Majesty," the handmaid greeted, curtseying. 

"Where is my husband?" Evelyn asked groggily. 

"He wished to leave you to sleep in peace, my queen."

She groaned once more, sitting straight up. "Has breakfast been served?"

The queen's handmaids were much used to this usual line of questions. The queen often woke up in a hazy state, forgetting her previous actions. Depending on the day and how much she had to drink, she could very well end up sleeping through the day and passing out at night once more. 

"It's little after two, my queen. Should I have breakfast brought up?"

Evelyn hid her surprise. "No," she groaned. "Could you have my son brought to my bedroom? I feel as if it has been ages since I last saw him."

The handmaid nodded and walked out the door, alerting one of the guards to fetch the prince. Evelyn stood and wobbled toward a chair, groaning at the increasing headache forming in her head. She glanced back and noticed her other handmaid, beckoning her over. 

"Go fetch me a drink, please," the queen asked.  

As the handmaid rushed out to deliver the order, Evelyn relaxed into her chair. She looked up and watched the sun beam onto her face, groaning at the increasing headache. She stood and pulled the curtains closed, sighing at the darkness in the room. 

The handmaid returned with a drink in her tray, along with pills in a separate cup. Evelyn reached for the pills and the drink, tossing both in her mouth. She sighed at the beginning feeling of relief, starting to feel better little by little. 

The door opened once more as Tobias entered. His face was still stained with tears from his encounter with his parents earlier, but one look at his mother assured she would have no recollection whatsoever. 

"You called for me, mother?" Tobias asked slowly.

"Son, why have I not seen you in so long? Are you avoiding your parents?" she asked obliviously.

"No, mother. Father has requested I stay away from the dining hall until my marriage arrangements with Princess Lauren are finalized."

"Oh," Evelyn laughed. "Well, that is no hard task. When will you make it official with the princess?"

"I do not wish to marry the princess," he answered. It feels as if I have to repeat that sentence billions of times a day, he complained. 

Evelyn sighed. "I do not understand why you do not wish to make your life easier by gaining a wife."

Tobias glanced at his mother. Does she think she has made my father's life easier? She passes out drunk constantly and, according to him, she gave him an unwanted son. "I am young enough to be patient while courting."

Evelyn laughed once more, taking a sip of her drink. "Do you not see how your father longs to go into retirement? His mistakes seem to be piling up by the day."

Tobias glared at the two handmaids still present in the room, waving them away. They smirked at one another, turning around and rushing out of the room. He sighed and walked over to his mother, sitting at the chair by her side. 

"Father will throw a fit if he learns I am in your bedroom," he said.

"It is my bedroom too," she reminded. "Pay no importance to your father. He only wants what is best for you, my dear."