Chapter Thirty Five

Pressed against one another in the middle of a fit of sudden passion, their hands moved fast.

Tobias had no control over his actions. He grabbed her forearms and pulled her closer, minimizing the space between them. He had always cherished every kiss against Beatrice's lips, but now that she was gone, any sentimental value he had placed went with her. 

Lauren moved her hand to the back of his head, pushing him down further. My father would throw me into a convent if he saw me know ... how exciting! She dug her nails into his scalp, keeping her hold on him. 

She pulled away panting, staring into his face. He seemed to be at the brink of tears, but unconscious of the face himself. She reached and wiped away a tear with her fingers before leaning forward and resuming what she had started.

"We can not be doing this," Tobias interrupted, moving his mouth from hers, looking to the side.

Lauren sighed and pressed a kiss to his exposed neck. "I need this," she whispered against him, pressing more kisses to him. "You broke my heart. You broke it, and now, you need to this for me...for you."

Tobias whimpered, not pulling away from her repeated contact. Her words made him feel guilty in a way he did not comprehend. Somehow, she had convinced him that their failed engagement was his fault. That he needed to amend.

How many women have I hurt? he thought grimly as he reluctantly tilted his head toward her and let her reconnect their lips. By loving Beatrice, I embarrassed Lauren.

He sneered, firmly closing his eyes to prevent any more tears from escaping. Not only Lauren, but our Family is ruined. Loving Beatrice killed her.

And that guilt made him sick to the core because he vowed to never feel guilty for his relationship with her.

Lauren groaned, pulling back at the realization that she was the only one participating. "I have suitors lining up for me, and you do not even look in my direction!" she scoffed. "Has this servant really scarred you so much?"

He furrowed his brows and looked at her. "She did no such thing."

She let out a sigh and raked her hands against his chest, leaning into him. "Do not dwell any further in the past," she whispered against his ear. "Be with me, in the present."

He succumbed to her, drenched in guilt and sorrow.

There was a time that Tobias entertained dozens of women without a care in the world. Not in any particular precision of appearance of title, he found solace in the company of another. A company that did not need to pass through his father's vetting process. A company that lasted a couple of hours through the night, to which he would awake once more in solitude.

That was, until, he found himself no longer running after such a life. Where he found in someone a person he longed to wake up to each morning for the rest of time. A woman he had no desire to pursue intimately because her mere presence brought him enough joy and completion.

Beatrice.

He could visibly remember the first time he ever slept beside her. Trapped in that small bed in the servant quarters, he was able to have her in his arms. And, he enjoyed every moment of it.

Lost in memories, Tobias did not feel anything as Lauren stripped away their articles of clothing. She straddled above him, reaching down and pressing their mouths against each other.

His mind fell blank.

He felt himself move and react, yet at the same time, as if he were watching from afar. He was in no control of his body, but responded and engaged with the princess on top of him.