Chapter Forty Three

Beatrice's nurse lifted her chin gently as she carried a spoon of food into her mouth. Beatrice thanked her with a nod each time. Not that she could not hold her own utensil, but she quite enjoyed being fed.

Off to the side, the doctor rose a clipboard to shield his conversation with the prince. 

"It has been days, doctor," Tobias reminded. "I have yet to hear a diagnosis for her."

The doctor sighed. "It is complicated, Your Highness. While we have thoroughly done her physical examination and treated her urgent wounds, Miss Prior may still be dealing with repressed trauma. She should see a psychologist to process what she endured."

Tobias hissed, turning away. She has only just come back to me, and now I must release her into the care of a psychologist for treatment? he thought selfishly. 

"It is difficult to hear, but I assure you, this is the way for Miss Prior to heal. Her mental wounds are far graver than her physical ones," the doctor reassured. 

Deep down, Tobias knew the doctor was right. "Then arrange for a psychologist to visit the castle as soon as possible."

The doctor nodded and bowed, retreating to his nearby office to fetch a list.

The nurse cleaned Beatrice's face as she retrieved the tray. She bowed to the prince before leaving them alone.

"How are you feeling?" Tobias asked, reaching for her hand.

Beatrice laughed. "You ask me that question each time I wake up," she teased, leaning into her pillow. "I am content."

He winced. She could not possibly be content if the doctor sees fit to bring her a psychologist. "You can tell me what troubles your mind, my love."

"Nothing," she replied with a smile. "I am simply content to be back here," she squeezed his hand. "With you."

There she goes, repeating the same words, Tobias remarked. Not wanting to push further, he flashed a forced smile and kissed her forehead. "I have some business to attend to. I will return shortly."

She inhaled. "Business? I had no idea as a prince you were tasked with things."

He winced. "They are not princely duties. I have to take over a few things while we handle the..." he paused. "...situation."

She looked at him and forced a smile. "Of course. The kingdom still needs leading."

Tobias hummed before leaving the room, closing the door slowly behind him. He furrowed his brows once he was alone, evaluating her strange behavior. He was sure she was hiding her true emotions from him, but out of fear for what? Is she afraid I might not bear speaking about what Marcus had done? I would bear it for her

Beatrice sunk further into her pillow, wanting to disappear altogether. She found it incredibly difficult to express how she felt, even to Tobias. Her mind and her words could never seem to agree with her thoughts. They were more like pictures than words. 

Forcing and concealing emotions was not one she enjoyed, especially with Tobias. She had always been proud of their healthy relationship in terms of talking - for the most part. 

But now, they were both hiding things from one another, afraid of the other's reaction.

The door slowly opened as Christina walked through, offering an excited wave. She sat on the bed and rambled on about gossip she had overheard, attempting to entertain.

Beatrice sighed and looked up at her best friend. "Could I tell you something that you must swear not to tell?"

Christina paused. "Of course."

The Crownजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें