Chapter Sixty Four

For a whole day, they sat in a humid carriage with stops every hour because Beatrice couldn't hold in her bladder. She had continuous pains in her lower stomach, sometimes that would result in crying. Beatrice wished her mother was beside her, hugging her, and saying everything would be all right. Of course, that wouldn't happen again for a very long time.

"You know this is a sign, Tobias," Beatrice whispered. "I'm going to give birth soon."

"I know, love," Tobias took her hand and sighed. "I know. They're coming soon."

The carriage had finally come to a stop as the coachman exited and opened the door. Tobias was first to exit. He looked around, staring at the small house in front of him. It was a townhouse, attached to others, and on the more wealthy side of the kingdom. The castle was still far away, and they were nowhere close to the life they had before.

Beatrice slowly came out, smiling at the house in front of her. Unlike Tobias, she was quite happy moving here. It was better than how she lived growing up, and it wasn't as hectic as the castle. It's perfect for our little family, she thought to herself. Tobias noticed the content on her face and tried to mask it.

"Oh, it's perfect," Beatrice said, walking to the front door.

"Hold on, Beatrice!" Tobias called out as another carriage rolled up in front of the house. A king exited, wrapping his long red cape around him as he walked over to Tobias, who bowed quickly. "Your highness."

The king shook his head. "Don't bow for me. I know who you are, King. I understand you and your wife are seeking safety here in my kingdom?"

"Yes."

"I also understand you two wish to be treated like any other - you'll work for your money, to put food on the table, and to provide for your family. You don't wish any help from me, correct?"

"No, sir. We're trying to raise our children opposite from the ways I was brought up. I don't want them turning out like me."

"You mean like your father, Marcus. He's the one you fear your children would become - he's power hungry and insane. Am I wrong?"

Well, he's very blunt, Tobias mocked. "No, sir, you're not."

The king smiled. "Now, your uncle has asked I provide for you the first month, along with furniture, then leave you be," he extended his hand and his advisor placed two folders in his hands. He handed them over to Tobias. "The house is already furnished, and I hope you'll settle comfortably. Other information is stacked inside these folders, sent by your uncle. If you need anything, you can take a horse and come visit me in the castle," he looked up at Beatrice. "Your wife seems very pregnant. I'll send a midwife to stay with you until she gives birth."

Tobias gripped the folders in his hands. "Thank you. Until next time."

The king nodded and walked into the carriage. Tobias turned around and walked to the front door. He opened it and sighed in relief when he saw the furniture had already been placed. Beatrice gasped and danced around the room, laughing at each room. Right when they walked in, was the living room and divided by a half wall was the kitchen. The dining room was across from the kitchen, and then there was a bathroom.

Up the spiral case was two bedrooms, two bathrooms attached by a wall. Beatrice wandered into one of the bedrooms and smiled when she saw two cribs had been placed. She touched her stomach, content and satisfied.

Tobias had stayed downstairs. He made himself comfortable on one of the couches and opened one of the yellow folders. Inside was a picture of himself with a page full of writing next to it. Toby Smith. On the page were more fake information, like where he came from and his family life. Beatrice came down the stairs but before she could express her gratitude of the townhouse, he handed her her folder.