Chapter Fifty Five

Beatrice smiled and nodded her head at the princess in front of her. Something about her name rang familiar in her mind, but her combination of drinks wasn't helping to think properly. "Princess Lauren. Thank you for coming, I'm sure Tobias appreciates it."

Lauren laughed slightly. "I'm not so sure about that, but I appreciate your hospitality. Does Tobias talk about me?"

She furrowed her brows. "No. Or maybe he has. I'm terribly sorry, we just came back from our honeymoon and the past week I haven't been feeling all that great."

"You look a little pale, and nauseous. I hope what I have to say next doesn't make you even more...upset."

Beatrice tilted her head and furrowed her brows. "I'm sorry, I'm confused."

Lauren nodded. "I think it's best we continue this conversation elsewhere, somewhere more private."

The both of them left the ballroom and walked into an empty room. Beatrice closed the door behind them and faced the other princess in the room. "You might want to sit down for this," Lauren advised as they went to be seated on the couches.

Tobias, still in the ballroom, was finishing up the conversation with his mother and uncle. He shook hands and looked around for Beatrice, who was nowhere to be seen. He took a couple of steps to go and look for her but he was continuously interrupted by people applauding him. He tried to rush out of conversations but the crowds increased and he was eventually trapped.

In the midst of all the commotion and music and voices, Tobias found his mother strolling his way. He quickly excused himself and met her halfway. He took her hands and said in an exasperated tone, "Where's Beatrice?"

Evelyn furrowed her brows. "I'm sorry, darling, I haven't seen her all night. I'm sure she's fine, though. Come, I want you to meet kings from other nearby kingdoms who have come to see you crowned. Be polite and introduce yourself."

"I have to find my wife." He said more aggressively than he intended.

Evelyn opened her mouth and sighed. "Marcus is locked away. He's not here anymore."

Tobias looked away, his eyes burning with tears. He blinked them away and took a deep breath, returning to look at his mother. Not only could he not show in a room full of royals and guests that his emotions were running high, but his mind couldn't stop wandering to the fact that Beatrice could have been taken.

Kidnapped.

"Marcus is locked away," Evelyn repeated.

He opened his mouth to respond but nothing came out. He took another deep breath and straightened himself. "Please, go get a guard to find her location. If she's not found in ten minutes, I'm canceling the party and I'm leaving to find my wife."

"You need to stop this paranoia. Marcus is gone, and Beatrice is safe." Evelyn said.

"You don't understand!" Tobias said angrily, looking in his mother's eyes. "I haven't slept in months. I lie awake since our wedding night because not only am I more tied to her by marriage, but since I got her back I can't handle losing her again. You know I was broken during that time...Beatrice and I were talking about children during our honeymoon. She was happy and excited at the idea of them, but I...I can't. I can't have children."

"Tobias, yes you can-"

"-I can't. She wanted to start trying, and I convinced her I did too. But I don't. I don't want children...not while Marcus is still alive. I used protection...my wife thinks she's going to be pregnant soon, but she won't. There will not be any heirs soon, not while Marcus is still alive."