Chapter Forty

Tobias gripped the marble countertop in the bathroom, inhaling and exhaling.

He looked up at the man standing in front of him. From head to toe, this man looked exactly like him. Yet, their mind could not have been more different. This man was marrying Princess Lauren today, whereas Tobias was doing anything but. 

He splashed his face with water once more.

Throughout nearly all his nearly twenty years of existence, never had Tobias thought about the concept of marriage as anything but a contract. A means to appease an older generation and ascend to a birthright. 

Yet, he had imagined his marriage to Beatrice to the last detail. With her, marriage would be more than a signature on the dotted line. With her, it was going to mean everything he was told it would be.

Look at you now, he belittled. Minutes away from falling into a binding contract

Outside the bathroom, Zeke paced around in circles, watched by his brother. He pressed his hands to the side of his head, shaking it. 

"What is bothering you?" Uriah asked, concerned.

"Her death," he muttered. "We had seen her! I spoke to her!" he shook his head more, bitting on his finger. "How could I not have known?!"

"Tobias did not send a letter; there was no way you could have known!" Uriah offered. "Do not blame yourself."

Zeke winced, refusing his brother's words. "I should have checked in more," he groaned. "He must have felt so alone!"

Uriah glanced at the drink in his brother's hand. "Perhaps you have had one too many drinks, brother. Your mind must be spiraling."

Zeke glared at him. 

The conversation would have resumed further had it not been for the sound of shoes interrupting them. The brothers turned and bowed quickly.

"While it is admirable how pitied you are for the prince," Marcus began, looking down at Zeke. "I am asking you not to speak of that affair. Ever."

Zeke gulped. Was the King shutting me up? Was he involved with what happened to Miss Prior? he asked himself, fear washing over him.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Uriah intervened, stepping in front of his brother. "We are overjoyed that Tobias is to be wedded today to the princess."

Marcus hummed and glanced at the bathroom door. "It would be best if you two scurried away to the ceremony."

Uriah grabbed his brother and forced him along. Zeke shakily looked over. "Something is wrong," he whispered urgently.

"I know," Uriah replied, looking back at the King entering the bathroom. 

Marcus flung the bathroom door open, content at the sight of his son. He closed the door behind him and walked over, letting the sound of his mantle be the indication that he had entered the room. 

Tobias turned to the side and noticed his father's trousers and mantel beside him. He glanced up, face to face. 

"You have a lot of nerve coming in here," Tobias spat. "Get out before I ruin your wedding."

Marcus snickered. He slowly lifted his own hand, slipping off a ring from his finger. He placed it in front of Tobias' hand. "My father gave me this the day of my wedding to your mother. A generational symbol of the wonders of marriage."

The prince stared at the ring, clutching the counter further.

"One day, you will give this ring to your son, and you will thank your father for all he has done for you," Marcus whispered before he turned to leave.