Chapter Five

With a sigh of relief, Beatrice finished her work in the prince's bedroom.

As she made the bed, a servant had entered the prince's bedroom and escorted Tobias to breakfast. He hadn't returned since, leaving her to wander freely and comfortably.

She opened the curtains to their full extent so that the sun could shine perfectly in the room. For a while, she lingered there, staring at the beautiful scenery from the prince's room. There was a gorgeous outlook of a grassy area that stretched far.

Beatrice was absolutely in love with the view.

She stood there, staring at the sight in front of her when the door to the bedroom creaked open. Stumbling to look professional, she quickly bent down to pick up the sponge she had dropped.

"This must be some kind of record," The prince, who had just walked in, began.

Confused, Beatrice took it personally. She turned around and lowered her head in his presence. "I apologize, your Highness."

"Oh, do not take it like that," Tobias laughed nervously and scratched the back of his neck. "I meant because you are always startled whenever I come in the room. A mere joke, Beatrice."

Temporarily forgetting her place, Beatrice lifted her head. "Forgive me for always being startled," her sentence had come out more snappy than she had intended, her body filling with fear. She lowered her head once more, shutting her eyes in shame. "I'm so sorry, your Highness. That was completely out of line."

Smugly, Tobias stared at her in silence. He noted that she had bowed her head to me so many times in the few moments they shared, that he somewhat wanted to see her face instead. "There is no need to apologize," Tobias assured slowly, walking past her. He smiled at her and paused. "We were just joking around, right?"

The air in the room grew deafeningly silent. 

Tobias cleared his throat and stood by the doors leading out to his balcony. "I noticed you were enjoying the view."

Beatrice looked up slowly, afraid she had committed a mistake. 

Instead of punishing her, he glanced at her and smiled. "This balcony is one of my favorite places in the entire castle."

Her heart beat fast as she processed his words. 

Seeing she was still much too uncomfortable to respond, he continued his talk. "What do you think of it, Beatrice?"

Her breath hitched, surprised at how he addressed her. She had been so used to being referred to as 'servant', yet the prince before her used her name. It warmed her cheeks. 

"It's a most mesmerizing sight," she confessed. "It's almost as if I can't tell where the garden ends."

Tobias chuckled at her words. "I usually come out to my balcony to be alone," he confessed himself. "If one were to press their ear to my bedroom door, they could hear any conversation I would have within the so-called privacy of my quarters. Yet, out on the balcony, no one can hear what I have to say."

"I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to share your thoughts," she said, her fear diminishing. "Perhaps the kingdom would do well by hearing your thoughts more often."

He glanced at her, unsure of how genuine her words were. Is she trying to flatter me, or be sincere? "Truth be told, I am doubtful if you truly mean what you say."

Her eyes widened as she looked up at him. "I mean them wholeheartedly. When I accepted my post at the castle, it dawned upon me how little we know of our kingdom's prince," she said slowly.