Chapter Thirty Nine

"It is time."

Evelyn, already dressed for the wedding, stood at the foot of her son's bed. She reached out and pulled her son's blanket from him, causing him to curl onto himself, cold.

"Tobias, please."

Still, he would not move. Tobias poked his head up and noticed his tailor in the room, preparing his station to dress the prince. He chuckled to himself, looking away. It seems Mother figured out I was purposefully missing my fitting this morning, so she brought the tailor to me.

"Do not make me repeat myself. Get going."

Tobias stood from the bed, begrudgingly standing in front of the tailor. No matter how much he could try, he was stuck in this fateful wedding today. Forced to be Lauren's husband. 

And no one stopped to hear his pleas.

The tailor carefully buttoned and adjusted his wedding suit. He stepped back and smiled, bowing to the Queen before leaving the room. 

Evelyn approached her son. She reached out and held his face in her hand, sighing. "My son, how you have grown."

Tobias looked away.

She inhaled and retracted her hand, reaching instead for his crown on the dresser. She slowly picked it up, smiling at the beautiful object in her hands. She carefully lifted her arms and placed it on top of his head, stroking his hair as she took a step back to admire him.

Rapid knocks interrupted their moment. Evelyn turned and watched Zeke and Uriah, Tobias' closest friends, enter. They bowed to his mother, greeting her. She smiled and left the room, hopeful her son's friends would cheer him up.

Zeke took a deep breath as he stared at his best friend. "Who would have thought we would see you in a wedding suit before us?" he joked, attempting to lighten the mood. 

"Zeke, not now," Uriah ushered as he shook his head.

How can he stand there and speak so loosely about today? Tobias asked himself as he stared into the mirror. He knew more than anyone how much I loved Beatrice. How could he find it in him to be joking around?

"I did not mean to offend," Zeke said quietly. "Truth be told, I was rather surprised to hear about your wedding. I had not received a letter from you since after the soiree we last attended."

Tobias winced. "Right. I have been rather preoccupied," he looked at him. "What with the death of the love of my life and all."

Zeke faltered. "I am so sorry, Tobias," he said quickly, bowing to him. "I had no idea she had passed."

"Did you think I was marrying Lauren of my own free will?" He muttered, shoving him in the shoulder as he walked past. 

Uriah fiddled with his fingers. "Perhaps this could be a fresh start," he offered. "Remember, you do not need to spend a second longer with Lauren after your wedding. You enjoyed the idea of concubines before - perhaps you could entertain the possibility again."

"I am glad you both think so positively about today, but unfortunately, it is I carrying the burden of marrying the princess," Tobias spoke. 

Zeke stared at the floor. Knowing of Beatrice's death sent shivers down his spine. He remembered all the tender words Tobias used to describe her in his letters, which made him realize just how much he cared for her.

"Is there anything I can do?" Zeke whispered, placing his hand over his heart in complete genuinity. 

Tobias looked at him and shook his head.