Chapter Sixteen

All week, through nonstop training sessions, yelling, sweat, and tears, the army Matthew had built together was now strong enough to fight. 

Throughout the days that precedented the imminent attack, the staff could start to notice little by little groups of soldiers huddling at the entrances, waiting to defend. Inconspicuous to the average person, but sent a shiver down the spines of those who knew what was to come. 

Hours before dawn, Matthew sat in his office, his forehead against his hand. He listened attentively to the person on the other line of the telephone, sinking into his chair further. 

"That was an order, Matthew," his Commander, David, said on the other line. 

"You want me to abandon them?" he asked in disbelief as he shook his head. 

"I want you to not question what I tell you," he replied firmly. "Transportation has already arrived; be prudent to get going right away."

Matthew slowly lowered the telephone, the ringing from the line rising by the second. He put the phone back on its stand and stood, reaching for his suitcase to stuff what little he had brought. 

Pushing him from his shock was a knock at the door. Matthew looked up and saw the prince walk inside. 

"You wanted to see me?" Tobias asked, holding the letter he had received earlier.

Matthew stared at him, forgetting his original intention to meet with the prince was to run through with him details and where he would lead his family into hiding. He sighed and motioned for him to sit, explaining that he had an order to leave the castle immediately. 

Tobias covered his anxiety as he listened, leaning into the chair. "Who will take charge, then?"

"Tori," Matthew answered quickly. "She is aware of what she needs to do if I am no longer available," he reached into a drawer and pulled out a map of the castle, turning it around. "Here is the passage you are to take you and your parents in. If the royals are kept hidden, the soldiers have an easier job being able to protect the staff."

"Do any of the guards know?"

He shook his head. "No. In the event they are captured and tortured for information on your whereabouts, they will not be able to reveal your location. Only you possess this information. You will need to get to them as soon as possible, Prince Tobias."

"I understand," he said slowly. "I will do my best."

Matthew stood and extended his hand. "You have been most helpful in our efforts to protect the people in this castle. The organization thanks you for your help." 

Tobias reached and accepted the handshake, nodding. As their hands fell to their sides once more, Matthew bowed to the prince one last time. He handed him a letter addressed to Tori before grabbing his suitcase and walking out of the office.

In the dead of night, Tobias walked back up the stairs. He found himself in the lobby of the castle, stopping to admire it for the first time. He had so many memories running through the doors and up the stairs - memories he never paused to remember. 

Life had been so bleak for the young prince. Since birth, his days were filled with the knowledge of being unwanted. He was reminded of his sole purpose; to ascend the throne and find a queen. The forced solitude in which he grew up in turned his perspective on others cold. 

He wound up in front of his parents' bedroom. He slowly held on to the handle, turning it quietly. The room was silent, filled with soft snoring. Tobias made his way to the side of the bed, staring down at his parents.