Chapter Fifty Seven

For the third night, the King and the Queen Consort didn't sleep in the same bedroom.

Beatrice didn't give Tobias a chance to respond to her announcement because she stood up from the bathroom and walked away. She entered one of the guest bedrooms and slammed the door behind her, leaning against it and letting tears roll down her cheeks. She cried silently, going to the bathroom to clean her face.

When she was done, she looked up into the mirror and took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant," she repeated, reassuring and clarifying that what happened - and what was going to happen - was real. "There's a baby inside of me," she continued, "and I'm going to have a baby. Tobias' baby."

ONE WEEK LATER

Beatrice was sitting on the couch, looking up at her best friend. She heaved a sigh as Christina turned around, admiring herself in front of the mirror. She rubbed her hand on her big stomach, smiling gleefully at how she looked in her wedding gown. "I don't think anyone will ever look as good as me in a wedding gown while being pregnant," Christina laughed. She twirled around one more time, her smile getting bigger and bigger.

"You look amazing, Chris," Beatrice complimented, flashing a smile. "Will is very lucky to be marrying you today."

Christina smiled. "Yes, he is."

The stylist in the room finished tailoring the gown before Christina stepped down and sat in her chair. Not only was it the cue for the stylist to leave, but Beatrice stood and walked towards her best friend. She took the utensils needed and started to work on her hair, as Christina had done on their wedding day.

A small tradition they'd promised to each other many years ago.

"I can't believe it," Christina continued. "I'm going to get married today, and next month, I'm going to have a baby. For once in my life, everything is perfect. There's no attack on the castle, no friends being kidnapped, no crazy ruler - everything is perfect."

"I'm glad you think that way."

A small pause before Christina began talking again. "I know it's my wedding day, and today is all about me, but you're not speaking. Something's wrong, and I can only guess it has something to do with your pregnancy and your husband. Just, please tell me. You have a minute."

"I'm not going to disc-"

"Fifty-five seconds."

Beatrice sighed. "He doesn't want kids because he's afraid he'll become like Marcus."

"And did you tell him that there's no way because Tobias has an organ called the heart and Marcus doesn't?"

"Yes, but he's too stubborn. We haven't slept in the same room for a week - I miss him, I do, but he needs to get over this fear that he'll turn out like his father."

"Well, I mean, can you blame him? Marcus was given the worst dad in the world award when he was sent to prison and shamed in front of the whole kingdom or kidnapping his son's wife. Oh, and plotting other things. I think that guarantees some worrisome."

"He can't expect to move on by refusing to move past this."

Christina smiled. "Time's up, now it's all about me!"

Beatrice laughed and resumed fixing her best friend's hair. "Today is all about you."

~

The soft violin played, giving the first cue. The doors opened as Beatrice held the pink flowers in her hands. She walked down the aisle in a teal-colored bridesmaid dress and took her place standing beside the altar. She smiled at Will, who was extremely nervous.