Chapter Thirty One

"Have you seen Miss Prior?"

The four-worded question was the only sentence that left Tobias' lips.

Frantically, he urged every person who passed by the same question, to which none had the answer.

Servants snickered and gossiped about the prince's panicked state, never having seen any of the Royals behave in such a manner.

Yet, Tobias could care less about how he appeared. He beat himself up over and over for the way the day had turned after the disastrous brunch. Since then, not only could he not find Beatrice, but his father was missing as well.

In fact, only his mother's location was known - crying in the dining hall with a drink in her hand.

He paused at the sight of his mother's handmaidens walking his way, whispering to one another. He rushed over to them, blocking their path. They stopped and stuffed their hands into their opposing sleeves, amused at how desperate the prince stood before them.

"Have you seen Miss Prior?" he asked slowly.

One of the handmaids furrowed her brows, unsure of an answer for the first time in her life. Even her partner was equally confused, not having expected such a question.

They slowly looked wearily to one another, masking their fear everywhere except their eyes.

As knowledgeable as they were, they were very aware of the fight that ensued in the dining hall over brunch. Yet, come to think of it, they had no idea where the infamous Miss Prior had gone.

"I-" the handmaid stuttered out, confusion pouring out of her. For the first time in their lives, the two handmaidens had not a clue about something going on in the castle. "I have no idea, Your Highness."

Tobias grunted, turning away from them. For a know-it-all reputation such as theirs, they are quite useless, he insulted.

The handmaid fiddled with her fingers before stepping forward. "Perhaps Christina would know!"

He stopped walking, looking back to them.

"Yes," she continued. "They are close."

"Where might I find her?" he urged for a quicker response.

The handmaid regained her confidence, knowing the answer to this question. "She fainted earlier. Last we heard, she was being escorted to her bedroom by the King's Page Boy."

He nodded and turned from them, rushing toward the servant hall. As much as he appreciated their clues, he detested the feeling of participating in some kind of scavenger hunt. Especially since the target was much too important.

He stumbled down the stairs, looking wearily around the seemingly thousands of closed doors. Without a further thought, Tobias walked toward Beatrice's door, fumbling with the locked handle. He turned and stopped at the sight of the door across, remembering faintly the memory of his encounter with Christina.

He knocked with haste, hoping he would find not only Christina, but Beatrice inside with her.

The door flung open as Will stood in front of the prince. He faltered, his breath hitched. "Prince Tobias?"

"Is Beatrice with you?" he rushed out.

Will widened his eyes, fear filling him whole. "Has she gone missing?"

Tobias clenched his fist and pushed open the door, inviting himself in. He looked around and spotted Christina lying in her bed, unconscious. He walked over and towered over her, wanting nothing more than to force her awake to get some answers.