Chapter Twenty Two

Tobias stood in front of the doors of the dining hall, taking several deep breaths.

He shook his hands in anticipation, jogging in place to prepare himself to be with his parents. It had not been since the meeting between Marcus and Princess Lauren's father had the three of them been in the same room for such a serious conversation. Marcus was quite busy with tending to gifts and repairs, while Evelyn chose to stray away from her son until he did what she requested.

The prince glanced at the doormen and nodded. They bowed and opened the doors as a guard walked in front, standing straight. "His Royal Highness, Prince Tobias!"

Tobias swiftly passed the guard and walked toward the table. His father glanced and stared at his son, unaware he would be joining them for lunch. Evelyn turned her head at the announcement, delighted he had come down. She set her drink down and motioned for him to sit down, eager to start the conversation.

"You wished to speak with me?" He asked, sitting in his seat.

"Yes, dear," Evelyn sighed. "First, we would like to thank you for your idea about the funeral for the servants who died. It was very memorable and very much appreciated by friends and families."

"And the whole kingdom; we are much adored now, and Royal Families from everywhere are sending us money for damage repairs," Marcus chuckled sourly. "If only they knew the damage was much more minimal."

Tobias turned and expected his mother to scold his father, but when he looked, she was in the same trance-like state when he saw her this morning. He waved a hand in her face, which brought her back to reality – startled.

"Yes, yes. What your father said," She rushed out.

Marcus glanced at his wife. "Dear, you really should stop drinking so often. Have you forgotten you intended on giving Tobias something?"

Evelyn's eyes widened as she nodded. She flashed a smile and reached for a folder beside her, handing it to her son. "Do read over it, son. I find you will quite enjoy what I have drafted."

Tobias took the folder and opened it, confused at what he was looking at. It seemed to be a contract. "A contract? What for?"

"Your servant," she smiled, startled slightly at his quick reaction. "The castle will grant her permanent leave with a stipend of twice she earns now for the rest of her life."

His breath labored, his hands slightly shaking as he held the contract in his hands.

"I do think your servant will quite enjoy such an arrangement," his mother continued. "Imagine how far such a reliable sum can do for her family."

Tobias looked at his mother, sure there were tears in his eyes. How could I not give this contract to her? This will solve all her financial strains and burden, he bartered, conflicted. "Mother...how could you do this?"

Evelyn paused slightly, hurt by her son's betrayed expression. "Tobias, I am doing this for you."

Marcus set his newspaper down and eyed his wife. "A reasonable gift for the servant who intervened, I suppose," he mumbled, unappreciative. "But all that aside. Now that this attack is over and everything is back to normal, I think it is appropriate to bring Princess Lauren back."

Tobias glanced at his father, a tear slipping from his eye.

"For her hand in marriage again," Marcus continued. "We had to cancel due to the abruptness of Eric's idiotic diabolical plan, but now that it is dealt with, what better time to reunite our families? We can show the people we are not fazed about what happened, and when you and Lauren come to rule, they will rejoice in hope with the little grandchildren of mine."