Chapter Thirty

Tobias watched as Beatrice faltered in her steps, left alone by her two friends. She clenched her fist, thinking over what had happened moments earlier. 

With a deep breath, he slowly walked over to her. "Is everything okay?"

She turned around toward him, her eyes filled with tears. "Christina is refusing to speak to me..." she heaved a heavy sigh and looked away. "No matter. Let us not keep your parents waiting."

"Beatrice, this brunch is of no importance," he insisted. "Perhaps you would prefer trying to speak to your best friend further-"

"-Tobias," she interrupted, looking back at him. "I will not run after someone who is acting like such a child! If she wishes to continue behaving this way, I will simply ignore her."

And with that, Beatrice turned and walked toward the dining hall, Tobias close behind. They walked in silence down the hallway, side by side. 

As they approached the doors of the dining hall, Tobias slowed his steps. One look Beatrice's way and it was clear to anyone her mind was overpowering her every thought; she was so visibly consumed with something, and it went much further than just a fight between her and her best friend. He wanted desperately to take her hand and lead her away, but she was much too resistant. 

Why is this brunch so important to her? Why does she feel she needs to make such an important impression on my parents? As if they could ever stop our relationship, he wondered to himself, oblivious.

The guards stomped their foot and straightened as the prince approached. They each reached for a door handle and opened it swiftly, standing in front of each other. 

Tobias reached for Beatrice's hand and led her inside, squeezing her fingers for reassurance. 

Beatrice held her head high as she locked eyes with the queen, sitting comfortably in her chair. She flashed an amused smile, stirring the drink in her hand. The king glanced at the couple, sneering. 

Evelyn stood and rose her glass to them. "My dear son, Miss Prior; how lovely of you to make it."

"I am honored by your invitation," Beatrice replied as one of the servants pushed back the seat for her. She sighed silently at the feel of the soft cushion below her, never having sat in such an elegant chair before. 

Marcus stared at her, undecisive over a thought.

"How are you enjoying your new life, dear Beatrice?" Evelyn asked.

"It is quite lovely," she replied honestly. "Nothing short of things I only imagined to be real."

Evelyn chuckled. "It is so wonderful that you have such supportive parents as well."

Beatrice clutched her dress, hiding her sudden fear. Tobias furrowed his brows and glanced at his mother. What an odd statement; is she purposefully trying to arise an emotion out of Beatrice? he wondered. 

"Supportive parents?" Beatrice finally asked, hiding the slight break in her voice at the now constant reminder of her father's outburst.

"Why of course!" Evelyn smiled. "How wonderful it is that they support you engaging in a relationship with the prince."

"Mother," Tobias interrupted with a forced smile. "I believe that is quite enough."

"I am only asking about the parents of the woman you are courting, my son," she insisted. "I would not want them to be upset at our dear Beatrice's..." she glanced across the table. "...upgrade."

Marcus glanced at his wife, amused by her line of questioning and the ever so evident despair across Beatrice's face. Even so, he felt the process was dragging all too much; he was growing tired by the second of having to sit at the same table as a servant.