Chapter Two

Beatrice opened her eyes and took a deep breath. 

The cottage was quiet, too quiet. It was unusual, especially living on such a noisy part of the mountain like Beatrice and her family did.

She carefully moved to lay on her side as she looked to the other end of the bedroom. Her brother, asleep soundly, snored. She sighed at the sight, a small smile filling her face. A horrid noise that I know I will miss, she laughed silently. 

As she stared up at the ceiling full of cracks, her mind finally felt at peace. As of today, her life would change entirely. 

No longer was she just another villager - she was now the prince's new servant. A highly respected position indeed, but was no choice of hers. The money she would earn would be sent to her parents, toward a plan to keep the little farm they had.

With careful movements, Beatrice stood from her bed, slow enough so her bed didn't squeak, but failed. Caleb stirred a little but stayed still and fell back asleep. She sighed in relief and walked outside, spotting her mother drying her new work clothes. Beatrice stood beside her and took a piece of clothing from the drenched basket to put on the clothing line.

"Thank you, Beatrice," her mother thanked softly.

She smiled at her. 

Her mother sighed, her smile persistent. "Although today your departure fills us with sorrow, you will have a better life in the castle, my dear. The King will grant you a room - your own room! And, a big bed!" She chuckled softly and looked around. She nudged her daughter, sticking her tongue out quickly. "Just don't let your father hear me talking like that."

Beatrice chuckled with her mother, knowing her father's not-so-warm views towards the Royal Family. They lived In the mountains, far from the castle and the richer parts of the kingdom. This was always a fact that grew her father to resent and hate the Royal Family. These sentiments were very much shared in the neighborhood she grew up in, and constantly spoken about in her own home. 

And now, she would be leaving to go work for the very people she'd been taught to despise. 

"It all feels surreal," Beatrice admitted. "Almost as if the change hasn't hit me yet."

"It will," her mother assured. "Probably in the carriage. But, don't think for a moment that your decision is regrettable. You are doing an honorable thing for our family, Beatrice."

"At what cost?" She asks her, sighing. "I'm leaving my family to work for a spoiled one. The very same you and father struggle for in order to keep their luxuries in line and our lives poorer."

"It's just the way life is, Beatrice. We each have our roles in society."

Beatrice nodded, but did not agree. She finished placing the last of the clothing on the line and retreated back inside the cozy home. 

Caleb exited the bedroom, stopping at the sight of his younger sister. He looked away, guilt washing over him. I'm sorry you have to do this, Beatrice. You shouldn't be doing this. I should be the one getting a job, not you. You're my baby sister. You're still a baby..."

"No, Caleb, I'm doing this. On the bright side, I'll see Christina," she offered, trying to lighten the mood. She and Christina had grown up together, their families neighbors. Christina had left two years ago to the castle, accepting a position in the kitchen. 

Caleb let out a small chuckle. As the eldest, he was certainly should have been the one to get a job. Nevertheless, Caleb was a cowardly and lazy man, choosing instead to stay home conveniently rather than pursue a career that would benefit their family. The money Beatrice was set to earn from the castle would most assuredly restore serenity within the financials for their family.