Part 17

"No, Michael! Stop!" I begged as I desperately tried to push away the large man who was carrying a handgun, "I told you I'll do it, just- just give him a minute! He's still alive!"

Michael stopped, the scowl on his face going from Mason to me, "Well you better do it soon because if that fucker turns and bites you-- I'm not waiting, sweetie!"

I swallowed harshly as the man turned away, walking out of sight, before I turned back to the heartbreaking scene that I'd do anything to change.

I sighed, walking over to the boy who was sitting with his back to a large tree; thin ropes wrapped around it and his torso multiple times.

"I'm sorry, you know he's-"

"A jerk? A douche bag? A dickhead?" Mason said weakly, cutting me off.

I chuckled before sitting down beside him, "Yeah, all of the above."

A tired smile appeared on his face, "It doesn't matter, he'll get his sooner or later."

I nodded, taking his hand in my own, "I know."

"Liz-" he began before getting cut off by his own coughing, "I don't want you to be sad."

"Yeah well, I don't want you to leave, okay?" I said as tears began to well up in my eyes.

"You know I wouldn't if I had the the choice," he sighed, "I wouldn't leave you with these monsters."

I shook my head, "We were so close to getting away from them, though.. literally just days-"

"Don't think about what could've been, start thinking about what you're-" he stopped as his coughing cut him off again, leaving him weaker, "Start thinking about what you're going to do next."

"I don't want to do it without you-- I can't." I murmured as I wiped my cheek, "You're the only person I've ever been able to trust and now-"

"I'm always going to be with you, Liz." Mason cut me off, a smile appearing on his face, "You'll never be able to get rid of me."

I laughed, shaking my head, "Can't we just go? Let's do what we planned on doing and leave-- get away from these people."

"I wouldn't even be able to make it a mile, Liz," he said breathlessly, "And I don't want there to be any chance of me hurting you."

I stayed silent as I tried to hold back more tears, "What am I supposed to do? How am I gonna keep doing this?"

"I'll help you," he smiled weakly again, squeezing my hand, "Just like you always helped me."

"Oh yeah? How, genius?" I joked, trying to hide how I was feeling, even though it was obvious.

"You'll know-" he said as his cough began getting rougher, obviously causing pain, "When you- whenever you need some guiding, whether your stubborn ass likes it or not, I'll be there-" he stopped again as another coughing fit came along, before he spit out a mouthful of blood.

"Mason.." I gasped as he shook his head, a struggled smile appearing on his face in an attempt to calm me.

"You really need to do this before Sir Douche comes back." He joked, causing me to breakdown further at what he was suggesting.

"I can't- I cant do that to you-" I struggled to get out.

"I want you to." He said squeezing my hand again, "I don't them to get the satisfaction of doing what I'm sure they always wanted to-"

I looked away as he began coughing again, blood continuing to come up.

"I'm not gonna last much longer, Liz," he sighed, "And I'm scared of becoming one of those things.."

I nodded, roughly wiping at my eyes, not wanting him to go through this anymore, "I'm gonna keep going, I promise."

"I know you will." He smiled, "Because I'm gonna make you, whether you like it or not."

I let out a weak chuckle, "Okay."

I leaned forward, pulling my gun out of my waist band before leaning back against the tree beside Mason.

"It'll be ok." He said softly, wrapping his hand around mine, forcing my grip on the gun.

"Oh my god.." I muttered, tears continuing to fall as I turned my head to face him, his tired bloodshot eyes looking into mine as a weak smile made its way onto his face.

"I love you, Liz."

I swallowed harshly before leaning over and kissing his cheek, "I love you too."

I then leaned back against the tree beside him as he guided my hand and the gun to his head, his breathing now steadying out.

"Don't worry." He said quietly as his grip around my hand and the gun got tighter before, in an instant, my world was spinning.

An emotion filled shriek ripped through my vocal cords as his hand soon fell from around mine, followed by the gun.

_____
As a writer, this was one of the most emotionally difficult chapters to write, but it was a very pivotal part in Liz's life.