Part 71

My eyes tiredly fluttered open as I felt a body being pressed against my own; Daryl's arms wrapping tightly around me as he nuzzled his face into the back of my neck.

"So, does Rick have a plan?" I asked softly, my mind drifting in and out of sleep.

"Mhm." Daryl quietly mumbled, "We're goin' in tomorrow night."

I let out a slow sigh before grabbing his hand from around me and bringing it up to my face, leaving a soft kiss on it.
I knew this was going to happen, it's just.. it's becoming so real so quick.

"Hey," Daryl murmured, holding me tighter, "I ain't gonna let anything happen to ya."

***

"Liz," Rick's voiced called as I helped load the vehicles, gesturing me over to him, "Daryl mentioned to me last night that you want to help keep watch for this, that right?"

I nodded, "I don't want to leave you guys alone out there, so I'll do whatever I can to help."

"Well, if I'm honest," he chuckled, putting the cartridge back into a rifle before handing it over to me, "I'd much rather have you on the inside with us.. but, I know how Daryl feels about that."

"Yeah," I laughed, "But I trust him-- he knows best."

"Oh, I know he does." Rick nodded, "I'm gonna put you with Tara and Jesus, right outside the compound, so if we need you, you're close by."

I nodded back, "Well, hopefully you won't need me."

"That's the plan."

***

"We're gonna take a look around and try to get a feel for how many people are in there." Rick explained as we all stood on the side of the road, "We like how it looks, we go in, just a couple hours before dawn. The guards outside will be tired and everyone inside'll be sleeping.. we don't like what we see, we head back, make a new plan. They don't know who we are-- we'll keep Jesus in the shadows with Liz and Tara." He continued, "This is how we eat.. this is how we eat. We roll out a midnight."

I slid off the hood of the car behind Daryl as we all began loading into the vehicles we came in.

"Ya still want to do this?" Daryl asked quietly.

I nodded, looking around as the road slowly became empty of people, "Just can't believe it's really happening."

Daryl nodded back, opening up the back door of the car, "Tonight-- anyone come near ya, threaten ya, scare ya-"

"I'll kill them.. I know." I breathed, "You don't have to worry about me, Daryl, just do what you have to do so everything can go back to how it used to be."

"Come on, you two!" Abraham yelled from the front seat, "We've got shit to do and not a lot of time to do said shit!"

***

We hid in the dark of the night as Eddie drove up to the front of the compound, my heart racing as this whole thing finally began.

"Stop right there!" A loud voice echoed as bright red lights atop the building clicked on, "Announce yourself, asshole!"

"It's Eddie from Hilltop!" He responded, "It's done!"

"Step out!" The voice yelled back before Eddie promptly followed instructions, "Is that it?"

"Yeah!" Eddie yelled back.

"Bring it here, shit brain!"

"I hope this works." Tara breathed from beside me.

"It will-- it has to." Jesus reassured.

"And if it doesn't?" She asked, looking back to where Jesus stood.

"We'll be ready." I said bluntly, adjusting my grip on the large gun that rested in my nervous hands, just before my whole body tensed up as Daryl snuck up behind one of the Saviors, swiftly slitting his throat.

We all quickly rushed the scene, the plan Rick had laid out now fully in motion; there was no going back and at this point, I didn't want to.

The body and all the surrounding items were quickly taken back with us to the shadows as we waited for phase two.

Moments later, the door to the compound swung open again, a Savior and the hostage from the Hilltop coming out, "Well, well, well.. look who it is." His voice taunted before a low, agonizing scream fell from his lips as Michonne immediately took him out.

Eddie quickly rushed to his friends side, calming him down as the group that we started with, broke into two parts-- Tara, Jesus, Eddie, and I, along with the hostage making our way to the car as the rest piled in through the doors of the compound.

I look up before getting into the passengers seat, just as the last person was going in, Daryl still holding the door as our eyes locked, exchanging a small nod before he followed the rest.

***

"I lied to Denise this morning." Tara said quietly as we all waited in the dimly lit car, "I, um-- she caught me thinking about something, so I told her that I loved her.. for the first time." She breathed, "That's how I told her, covering something up."

I furrowed my brows a bit, looking over to her as thoughts of the first time I told Daryl that I loved him ran through my mind.

"Do you?" Jesus asked from the back seat, "Do you love her?"

"Yeah." Tara nodded, her voice weak.

"Then that's all that matters," I shrugged, "I don't think it matters why or how you show someone you love them anymore-- not now anyway, just as long as they know it."

"Do you love Daryl?" She asked, looking over at me.

"More than anything." I admitted quietly, my eyes focused on the building in front of us.

"Good," Jesus said from behind us, catching our attention, "Then you both know what you're fighting for."

_____
Sorry for the late upload, just haven't had anytime to write recently.

Let me know what you think of this chapter, it has a little bit of everything in it