Part 64

We all gathered around the dining room table in Rick's house; Jesus sitting calmly at the head of the table as questions were being thrown at him.

"I checked out your arsenal," he said, "I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.. you're well equipped, but your provisions are low-- very low considering the amount of people you have; 54?"

"More than that." Maggie answered.

Jesus nodded, "Well I appreciate the cookie-- my compliments to the chef-"

"Yeah, she ain't here." Daryl cut him off, his glare harsh.

"Look, we got off to a bad start," Jesus sighed, turning in his chair, "But we're on the same side-- the living side."

"Not everyone who's living is on the same side anymore," I spoke up, "Learned that the hard way and we aren't looking for a repeat."

"She's right-" Rick nodded before Jesus spoke up again.

"Daryl and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but they didn't." He began, "I'm from a place that's a lot like this one and part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with." He explained, "I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble.. but I was wrong-- you're good people and this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

"Do you have food?" Glenn questioned.

Jesus nodded, "We've started to raise livestock, we scavenge, we grow-- everything from tomatoes to sorghum."

"Tell us why we should believe you." Rick said.

"I'll show you." Jesus shrugged, "If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer."

"Wait," Maggie began, "You're looking for more settlements? You mean you're already trading with other groups?"

A smile appeared on Jesus's face as he leaned back in his chair, "Your world's about to get a whole lot bigger."

***

"He ain't hurt ya? Touch ya? Anythin'?" Daryl asked as we stood off to the side, his glare keeping an eye on the stranger in the distance.

I shook my head, "He never even came near me; Carl already had a shot on him before anything like that could happen."
He nodded slightly before a gave him a reassuring smile, "I'm okay," I said softly, brushing my finger tips over his hand to get his attention again, his mind obviously stressed and wandering, "I'm just glad you're back."

"I'm always gonna keep comin' back." He murmured.

I smiled, pushing his dirty hair away from his eyes, "I know."

"Liz," Rick said, catching our attention, "You up for heading out with us? Could really use another set of eyes for this."

I nodded, "Yeah, of course."

"Alright then, Glenn's going to bring the RV around so it can be loaded; we're gonna try to head out of here in the next 30 minutes." He informed before heading back out the door.

***

"Yo, Rick, what's going on?" Daryl asked as the brakes began to squeal, the RV soon coming to a stop.

"We got a crash ahead," he answered as we all peered out the windows, "Looks like it just happened."

"It's one of ours.." Jesus breathed before pushing out the door, the rest of us soon following, seeing what was left of the flipped car.

"If this is a trick, it won't end well for you." Rick threatened, his gun aimed at Jesus's head.

"My people are in trouble," Jesus pleaded, "They don't-- we don't have a lot of fighters. I know how it looks, but I'll play it out. Can I borrow a gun?"

"No." Daryl huffed as I stood close to his side, the mix of walkers and now potential danger from humans causing me to be more anxious than ever, "We got tracks right here." He pointed to the asphalt beneath us before we all followed his lead.

***

"They gotta be in there." Jesus said as we reached a rundown building.

"We moving in or what?" Abraham asked, looking to Rick for our next move.

"How do we know this ain't firecrackers in a trash can?" Daryl spit.

"You don't." Jesus answered, distress in his voice.

"We'll get your people," Rick sighed, "But you're staying here with one of us."

Jesus looked around, breathing heavily before Michonne nodded, "That's the deal."

"Will you stay?" Glenn asked Maggie off to the side as she nodded in agreement before looking over to me.

"Watch my back?"

"Yeah." I nodded before sliding my gun out of my waistband and taking a spot beside her; Daryl giving me a quick, approving nod.

"Y'all go, just be careful." Maggie instructed as Rick handcuffed Jesus's wrists behind his back.

"Yeah, we're gonna be careful." He said as the handcuffs clicked into place.

"Just hurry." Jesus breathed.

"You hear me whistle," Rick began as he looked back at us, "Shoot him."

_____
Not much happened in this chapter, but I have something planned for the upcoming chapter that I'm sure a lot of you will like👀

Let me know what you think!