Part 23

I walked through the door just as the other people were walking out through the garage door.

"We'll be back in an hour, make sure every gun and bullet is accounted for by then." A man, who I hadn't bothered to remember the name of, ordered and I nodded back at him before walking into the armory.

"So," Olivia sighed, looking around the room, "How do you think we should do this?"

"Umm.." I stalled, grabbing a clipboard and looking it over, "How about you go through bullets and larger guns, while I deal with all of the handguns-- Rosita really wants me to get more familiar with them anyway." I lied, hoping she'd buy it.

"Ok, that works for me," She nodded, grabbing the other clipboard, "Just make sure to do a double check on those handguns since they're probably more likely to go missing."

"Yeah, of course," I smiled, opening up the chest of guns, "It'd be kinda risky though for Rick to take more than one gun though, don't you think?"

She shrugged, moving around boxes of bullets, "It's risky to even steal one gun out of here; who knows what he'd do."

I sighed, "Well, I'll definitely double check then."

***

As I was about 3/4 of the way done with the list, I found myself running into the exact problem Carol described, and without hesitation, marked both of the empty slots on the list as accounted for.
I didn't really know why Carol took them or what the cause of her personality change was, but all I know is that she's been nothing but nice to me from the second I got here, and she's with Rick, so I trust her.

Even though my mind was filled with stress about having to lie about the missing guns, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened with Rick earlier; his speech and why he went off.. was this normal for him?

"Ok," Olivia's breathed out, her voice interrupting my thoughts, "Rifles and bullets are accounted for; how's handguns going?"

"Actually.." I said slowly, checking off the last 3 guns, "I'm all done as well-- even made sure I was getting all the names right." I smiled.

"And nothing else is missing?" She asked as I shook my head, handing her the clipboard, "Well, Deanna will be happy about that!"

"And we actually finished before anyone came back to check on us." I laughed.

"Thank god," she joked, "We should probably go drop these off with her then, just so she'll stop worrying."

I nodded, "You're probably right."

***

Olivia and I walked down the street, clipboards in hand, until I saw Glenn, Carol, and Abraham out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey actually, do you mind dropping these off at Deanna's alone?" I asked, holding the clipboard out to Olivia, "I just really want to know if Rick's doing ok."

She nodded, taking the board from me, "Yeah totally, I'll talk to you later!"

"Thanks!" I smiled, before jogging over to the small group huddled in the middle of the road.

"Liz," Carol waved me over as she saw me, "How'd inventory go?" She asked in a hushed tone.

"Good," I nodded, "Everything was accounted for."

She smiled, looking around at the houses surrounding us, "And Olivia doesn't know anything?"

I shook my head, "No, she doesn't have a clue."

"I can't believe you got her involved in this." Glenn murmured at Carol.

"What else were we supposed to do? She's the only one that we could trust to do this." Carol whispered back, a, now obvious to me, fake smile still on her face.

"And now you've roped her into you and Rick's lie when she had no part of it-"

"Look," I said, cutting off Glenn, "Whatever this is, I'm on your guys' side no matter what. Without Rick, I wouldn't even be here, so I owe him-- I owe all of you."

Glenn shook his head, "You don't owe us, you're one of us."

"And she proved it today." Carol added.

I smiled, really beginning to feel like I was becoming apart of this group.

"Is Rick doing ok?" I asked, "Can I talk to him?"

"I don't think that's a good idea right now," Abraham replied, "He's doing just fine, though."

"Deanna's calling a town meeting tonight and we can all talk there." Glenn reassured, "But until then, we should all just go home and let everything die down."

We all nodded in agreement, beginning to go our separate ways before Carol caught up to me, catching me off guard as she walked closely beside me.

"Why do you want to talk to Rick?" She asked quietly.

"I just want to know what's going on." I shrugged.

"Well, I'm going back to talk to him anyway; I'll bring you along, but try not to draw too much attention to yourself, we don't need them thinking you had some part in what he did."

I nodded, "Deal."

_____
Let me know what you thought.
Do you agree with what Liz did for the group and do you think it was right for Carol to bring her into all of this?