Part 57

As we made our way through each abandoned house, picking up anything useful that was left behind, we finally found ourselves outside of the convenience store which we had hoped would be untouched, but upon further inspection, it was clear that it was not.

"Place looks fuckin' trashed." Daryl scoffed, looking through the cracked glass door.

I sighed, adjusting the bag on my back before beginning to walk around the building, "Let's just hope whoever was here last, left something behind that'll be useful to us."

Suddenly, I felt a tug on the bag, causing me to stop as Daryl pulled it off of my back and swung it over his shoulder, "I got it." He murmured, the sweet gesture causing me to smile.

"The backdoors still open," I said, pointing over at it, "I'll just quickly check it out to see if it's even worth going through any of the mess."

Daryl nodded, "I's gonna go check out some of these cars back here," he said, gesturing to the small lot of cars that looked like they had been stashed away, "Yell if ya need me."

"I will." I smiled, pulling my knife out and heading into the back of the store.

I kicked through the trash on the floor as I made my way through the dark hall, hoping to see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel, but what I got, was the exact opposite.

"Well," a voice scoffed from behind me as the familiar click of a gun hammer was drawn back, "Look what we caught ourselves."

My breath hitched in my throat as I felt my heart stop; my mind immediately filled with a fear that I had hoped I'd never feel again.
I didn't know what to do-- I was frozen.

"Turn around, baby, don't be shy." The voice said again.

I took a deep breath, exhaling quietly, in hopes of not showing how scared I really was, as I slowly turned around to come face to face with someone who now held my life in their hands.

"There we go," the man smiled, "Good girl."

I gripped my knife tighter as my eyes went back and forth between the two strangers who stood in front of me; trying to come up with some sort of plan that wouldn't end in me getting shot. I knew I couldn't run or fight, and if I called for Daryl, there's no doubt that at least one of us wouldn't make it out of here alive.

The other man then glanced down at the knife before his sinister glare came back up to me, "Put it down- slide it over." He commanded as our eyes locked.

"I don't have anything else on me.." I said lowly, lying, "Please just.. let me go and-"

"The knife-- now." The man repeated, now harsher.

I let out a quick breath before dropping my knife to the ground and kicking it over to where they both stood.

"What do you think we'll get from Negan when we bring something like her back?" One joked to the other as he picked up my knife.

"A pat on the back?" The other chuckled, sliding the knife through his belt, "She is real pretty, though," he cocked his head at me, my skin beginning to crawl at the way his eyes ran over my body, "Maybe we should just keep her to ourselves.."

My stomach turned as they both laughed, the smirks on their faces making me feel uneasy.

"Now the gun, sweetie." The man holding the pistol in my direction ordered.

I shook my head lightly, my words weak as fear coursed through my body, "I don't have-"

"We aren't fucking stupid," he cut me off, "Hand over the gun from your waistband if you want to keep that pretty face of yours."

"I- I can get you guys whatever you want-" I stuttered, try to come up with anything that would give me a chance, before being cut off again by another click of a hammer, this time being aimed by the other man in front of me.

"Tick tock." He smiled.

I slowly nodded as I felt tears brim my eyes, not knowing what was going to happen after I gave up my last means of protection, but knowing that I had no other option.
Here I was, once again, alone and seconds away from what could be my last breath; kinda makes you wonder what you did to make yourself end up in situations like these.

But in a second, everything changed as I realized that the weapons I carried weren't the only things that could protect me.

My ears rang as a shot went off, one of the men in front of me falling to the ground as the other fired in the direction of the first shot, giving me just enough time to reach behind myself, pull out my gun, and pull the trigger.

I let out a shaky breath as the man in front of me dropped to the ground, the air going silent as a tear fell to my cheek.

Daryl came from the doorway, his eyes immediately scanning the room before he spotted me; quickly coming over and pulling my numb body to his.

We stayed silent, my quiet sobs filling the store as his arms wrapped around me protectively.

"I'm sorry." He breathed into my neck as I felt myself melt further and further into the safety of his grasp.
No matter what happens, his touch always makes me feel like everything's ok, and that's all I really needed right now.

_____
Trying to get back to a normal posting schedule again, but don't hold me to it rn lmao

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter!
I'm sure we'll learn more about those mysterious strangers in the next chapter, but what are your thoughts on them?