Part 76

Even though I knew that what we had started probably wasn't over with, the air around Alexandria felt lighter-- almost peaceful. The deal that was made with the Hilltop was going as planned and the pantry was full again, something that had been a struggle to keep up.

As I walked down the road, after helping Olivia with inventory, I noticed Daryl, Rosita, and Denise standing together before my curiosity began to flourish, interested in what else I could do. 

"Ya good with this?" I heard Daryl ask as I walked up from behind.

"No." Rosita shook her head, a short laugh following.

"I'll go alone if I have to-" Denise began before getting cut off by Daryl.

"You'll die alone."

Denise huffed out, frustrated before she noticed me walking up, "Then I'll just have Liz take me-"

"Nuh uh-" Daryl mumbled before I stopped him.

"Take you where?"

"There's an apothecary right off of highway 92, I saw it when I was heading out of DC and it's not that far from here-- they have meds that we might need."

I shrugged, "Sure, but you're driving-"

"Nah," Daryl shook his head, "We'll take ya-- me and Rosita."

Rosita shot Daryl a glance before looking back over to me, sighing as an amused smirk grew on my face, "Fine," She huffed, crossing her arms, "Let's just get this over with."

***

"Just hurry back and don't take any chances out there, ok?" I said as I waited with Daryl by the truck for Rosita and Denise, "We don't know who's left out there."

"I know," he nodded, tossing a bag into the bed of the truck, "We won't be gone long."

"Long enough for something to happen though." I shrugged, letting out a sigh as my eyes stayed focused on him, taking in ever little detail I could. As the days went on, each time we were going to be apart, I found myself subconsciously preparing for it to be the last, like I was never going to see him again and each time.. I was afraid that that would really be the case.
It's like I was just waiting for the world to take away the best thing I've ever had.

"Hey," Daryl said as he now stood in front of me, bringing me back to reality, "I'ma be back."

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck, relishing in what I was so lucky to have as he held me close.

***

"Hey." I said as I walked up behind Maggie as she was tending to the garden.

"Oh, hey," she smiled, turning back to see me, "Mind helping me with some weeding?"

"Well, I've got nothing better to do." I joked, grabbing a pair of gloves that were laid off to the side, "How've you been?"

"I've had better days," she laughed, tossing a pile of weeds into a wheelbarrow, "But we're all still here-- we're all safe, so that's all that matters."

I nodded, kneeling down opposite to her, "Do you ever worry that we're not?" I asked quietly, looking up at her, "That all of this is like, the calm before the storm?"

She sat back, "Why? Is that what you've been thinking?"

I shrugged, "Daryl said the guy who took his bike wasn't there in the compound, so there has to at least be a few more of them somewhere and they can't be too happy about a bunch of strangers coming in and slaughtering their people."

Maggie nodded slowly, "Rick knows what he's doing-"

"I'm not saying he doesn't," I stopped her, "But that won't stop people from trying-"

"And when they do, we'll be ready-- we always are." She reminded.

I shook my head, tugging at more weeds, "I don't want to have to be ready."

***

I sat on the front steps of the house, my mind racing with what next-- what do I do next? What do we do next? What's going to happen next?
Everyone was off doing their own thing, continuing to survive, while I was struggling to see a tomorrow-- or at least a next week.
Something just didn't feel right, and I didn't know if it was a sign of something to come or just guilt from what we already did, but it made me miserable.
We made a deal with the devil.. and I feel like our times about to be up.

I looked down the road as I heard the squeaking of the front gate, knowing that meant they were back and desperately needing something to ease my mind-- some good news to shake the thoughts that were tormenting me.

As the vehicle pulled in, I watched as Daryl and Rosita got out of the front while Abraham stood up in the bed of the truck, immediately causing me to stop in my tracks as my eyebrows furrowed.
My eyes then locked with Daryl's as he shook his head, my heart dropping as I watched him disappear behind the truck.

I quickly ran to the vehicle, stopping as I saw Daryl and Abraham begin to carry Eugene out of the back before noticing the lifeless body of Denise.

"What- what happened?" I breathed, stumbling back as I tried to processes everything that was being thrown at me.

"We got ambushed," Rosita said, pulling a full backpack out of the back before handing it to me, "We need to get Eugene to the infirmary if he's going to have any chance of living."

I quickly nodded, following behind her as we traced behind Daryl and Abraham.

It happened-- this is what I was afraid of.

_____
Personally, not the biggest fan of this chapter myself, but we are getting to the end and this was just a big timeframe of nothing that I had to attempt to fill up and to be completely honest, I just really want to start on the new book.

Hope you all understand.

Only a couple more chapters left.

ALSO, my new Fear The Walking Dead/Nick Clark fanfic is out! It's called Not The Same and I highly recommend you check it out.