Part 25

I sat beside Eugene and Maggie as we all huddle around a fire, waiting for the rest of Alexandria's residents to show up.

"We're going to start." Deanna said, cutting the near silence.

"Can we wait?" Maggie asked, "There's still people coming-- Glenn, Rick-"

"We're going to start; it's already dark." Deanna proceeded, "We're going to talk about what happened-- not the fight.. not what precipitated it. We're dealing with that." She informed, "We're going to talk about one of our constables; Rick Grimes."

My heart sunk in my chest, knowing that Rick was the reason we were having this meeting, but afraid to find out the outcome.

"We're going to talk about how he had a pistol he stole from the armory, about how he pointed it at people, and we're going to talk about what he said." Deanna continued, "I was hoping he'd be here-"

"She said he's coming." Michonne said, cutting her off.

"I'm sure he'll be here," Carol added, "And I'm sure we can work this all out."

I nodded, "Can't we just wait a bit longer-"

"No, I'm sorry." Deanna stopped me, "We're going to continue."

"Rick did what he felt like he needed to do to protect the people he loves," Michonne said, "And after being out there, and then not being how you were out there... it can drive you crazy; Rick just wants his family to live. He wants all of you to live." She continued, "Who he is.. is who you're gonna be.. if you're lucky."

Deanna's stare stuck on Michonne until she finally nodded, "Well then, does anyone else have anything they want to say?"

"Rick Grimes saved my life over and over." Carol said as she stood up, "There's terrifying people out there and he rescued me from them. People like me-- people like us.. need people like him. I know what happened last night was scary and I'm sure he's sorry for that, but maybe we should listen to what he was saying."

"He saved my life when he didn't even know who I was; if I was good or bad." I added in, "He took a chance on me because he's a good person and he saw the good in me... even when other people didn't. He only wants what's best for us-- for Alexandria."

"She's right." Abraham began, "Rick has done things and seen things that half of you couldn't even imagine-- shit I don't even want to talk about, but he did it all to protect the people who were counting on him." He said, heads of those throughout the group now nodding, "Simply put, there is a vast ocean of shit that you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit.. and then some."

"Yes, that might be but-" Deanna began before being interrupted by another voice.

"My father respected Rick Grimes; Rick is a father, too." Maggie said, "He's a man with a good heart who feels the things he does-- the things he has to do. And all of us, who were together before this place, no matter when we found each other, we're family now." She continued, placing her hand on my shoulder, "Rick started that.." she said as she looked over to Deanna again, "And you won't stop it-- you can't and you don't want to. This community.. you people; that family, you want to be apart of it too."

Deanna sighed, "Before we hear from anyone else, I- I would like to share something in the spirit of transparency. Father Gabriel came to see me the day before yesterday and he said our new arrivals can't be trusted-- that they were dangerous and that they would put themselves before this community."