Part 32

As we all entered back into Alexandria, all I wanted to do was get back to the house and take a cold shower, but it seemed like that was going to have to wait.

"Morgan, Daryl, Liz." Rick named off, calling us over to him, "I need you guys to come to the armory with me so we can go over what guns we're taking for the herd and what guns are being used for watch."

We all agreed, following behind him as we made our way to Olivia's house.

I couldn't help but feel the slight uncomfortable tension in the air, either from Rick and Morgan or Daryl and I, but either way, I didn't like it.

We then walked up the porch steps before Rick opened the door, showing a scene that I don't think any of us were prepared for.

"What the hells going on?" Rick asked as Eugene sat terrified on the floor, Carters gun pointed at his head, "What're you doing?"

"I'm taking this place back from you." Carter said shakily, trying to stand his ground as his eyes showed nothing but fear.

Rick cocked his head, looking at the several other Alexandrian's in the room, "That's what you were talking about in here?"

"That's what he was talking about." Spencer corrected.

Rick nodded, "You see, I would have set up some lookouts-- that would've been the smart thing.. you know if I happened to-" He went on, distracting Carter, before snatching the gun out of his hand and forcing him to the ground.

"You really think you're gonna take this community from us?" Rick asked lowly, the gun now pointed to the back of Carter's head, causing flashbacks from that night around the fire, "From Glenn? From Michonne? From Daryl? From me?" He continued, his tone getting harsher as he readjusted his grip on the handgun, "Do you have any idea who you're talking to?"

"It was just me-" Carter breathed out, quietly.

"What?"

"It was- it was just me.. just- just kill me." He stuttered.

I felt as fear immediately washed over my body at the thought of witnessing another death; everything in my mind telling me to run away and pretend like this wasn't happening, but I couldn't.. not anymore.

As Rick's glare held and the tension in the room built, I nervously moved behind Daryl, placing a hand on his back and desperately hoping to feel safe again.
I was then caught off guard when he reached behind himself and took my hand in his; instantly calming my nerves.

"Rick." He murmured, catching Rick's attention and breaking his stare at the back of Carter's head.

"I'm good." Rick breathed out, nodding before releasing the guns hammer and holding it out for Daryl to take, "I'm good."

The room stayed silent as relief took over everyone's minds, now only waiting for what was going to happen next.

"You can try to work with us-- you can try to survive," Rick began to the man on the floor, "Would you do that?"

It felt like we were all holding our breath as Carter slowly looked up to Rick, still in shock, before finally nodding.

***

"You sure you're gonna be ok with these rifles?" Rick asked, placing a few of them off to the side for everyone who was going to do watch.

I nodded, "Daryl took me out to shoot one; I think I'm pretty comfortable with it."

Rick looked over to Daryl, waiting for him to backup what I just said.

"Yeah," Daryl murmured, nodding as he continued moving boxes of bullets, "She's good."

"Well then it's settled," Rick nodded back, "We'll head out tomorrow for a dry run, meanwhile, you, Rosita, Holly, and Spencer will get comfortable up in the watch towers."

"So, is that everything you're taking?" Olivia asked, pen in hand as she finished jotting down the name of each gun.

"Yeah, that should be it," Rick said, scanning over the weapons off to the side, "I'll let you know if anything changes."

And with that, we all headed out of the armory and back onto the streets of Alexandria.

"Now, this is just a dry run, correct?" Morgan asked toward Rick as we all continued down the road.

"That's all it is," he nodded, "Everyone needs to know what we're up against and what the plan of action is."

"And you really think we're gonna be able to do this?" Morgan asked, looking over to Rick as the sun glared in his eyes.

"Ain't nothing 'bout thinking," Daryl cut in, "We're gonna do it, no questions asked."

Rick nodded, "Daryl's right; it's do or die with how many walkers are in that pit-- you saw it."

"Yeah, I know," Morgan sighed, "That's what I'm worried about."

***

I quickly ran down the stairs, towel in hand as I continued to dry my now wet hair, thinking that the knock I heard on the door was going to be from Daryl, like it usually is.
But to my surprise, I opened it to see Rick.

"Oh, hey!" I smiled, opening the door wider for him to come in, "What's going on?"

"I just wanted to come talk to you about a few things," he said as he walked in, "Run some things by you."

"Sure, like what?" I asked as I closed the door, rubbing the towel through my hair once more.

He shrugged, "How have you been lately? I feel like I haven't asked you that in a while."

I nodded, throwing my towel over the back of the couch, "I'm good-- I really am."

"That's good to hear," he smiled, "And I suppose shootings going good as well?"

"Could be better," I laughed, walking into the kitchen and grabbing some water, "I'm nowhere near as good as like, Sasha or Daryl, but I'm getting there."

"Yeah.. speaking of Daryl," he said, rubbing the scruff on his face as he walked into the kitchen, "When do you think you'll be ready to go back out on runs together? I mean, I know you two went out there the other day, so?"

"Soon, I hope." I shrugged, placing down my glass on the hard surface in front of me, "I just don't know if he thinks I'm ready to go back out there yet-- he did stop me from helping you guys with the herd."

"Listen, if it were just up to me, I'd have you out there with the rest of us because I know, at the end of the day, you can handle yourself." Rick informed me, "I think Daryl's just trying to look out for you and I'm going to respect that because if I don't, and something does happen to you, that's on me."

I nodded, looking at the patterns on the wood flooring beneath my feet, "Yeah, I get it."

"He's not a bad guy," Rick said lowly, "I know you two got into it a couple of times but-"

"No, I know." I cut him off.

He nodded, beginning to walk back into the living room before he turned back around, "Is there something going on between you and Daryl?"

_____
Ooo
Thoughts?