Part 81

I stayed upstairs in bed all day, giving not only my body a rest, but also my mind, for as long as I possibly could.
As I laid in bed last night, my thoughts only stirring for meer minutes before exahustfully giving out, I came to the realization that, at the rate I was going, I was more of a risk than a helpful hand when it came to Alexandria and the people inside of its walls. The only thing I ever wanted to do was to be able to give back to the people who took me in and made me feel like I was more than a burden, and I was determined to do just that.

Not surprisingly, my peaceful moment or relaxation was abruptly ended as I heard fast footsteps coming up the stairs, causing me to quickly sit up as my heart began to speed.

"Liz, something's wrong with Maggie," Carl explained as he pushed open the bedroom door, a mix of emotions flooding through my tired mind, "A group of us are gonna take her to the Hilltop and my dad wants you to come."

"Uh, yeah- yeah, of course." I mumbled as I pushed myself out of the bed, grabbing my weapons off the table as I followed Carl out of the room.

"I'm heading to the armory already so I'll grab you a gun," He said as we made our way down the stairs, "The RV's around front."

I nodded as we headed out the front door, parting ways before I saw Rick come around the front of the RV, his face covered in distress as he spotted me.

"What happened?" I asked, wanting details.

He shook his head, rubbing the sweat from his face, "I don't know yet, but we need to get her to the Hilltop's doctor before it gets any worse."

"Well, where is she?"

"She's inside already," he pointed to the large vehicle, "Try to keep her calm if you're going in there."

I nodded, letting out a deep breath before I went around to the side of the RV, stepping up into the living quarters before wearily walking to the back.

I heard her before I saw her as Maggie laid doubled over on the back bed-- the sight of someone you care so much about in pain being almost impossible to watch.

"What happened?" I breathed, pushing back the hair that stuck on her sweat covered face.

"The baby, it's-" she paused, pain evident in her eyes, "Something wrong with it."

"I don't, I- I can't-" I stuttered as I stood beside where she laid, completely helpless to the situation.

She hushed me as her trembling hand grabbed onto mine, "I just need to get to Dr. Carson, that's- that's all."

***

I walked back to the door of the RV as I heard more voices, seeing Abraham, Sasha, and Eugene standing outside with Rick.

"Well, that also means you got room for more." Abraham said, gesturing at the large vehicle, "They're out there, so I'm gonna be there with you-- we are." He finished, looking over at Sasha.

"Package deal." She smiled.

"Uh, what she said." Eugene added, following closely behind them as they began piling into the RV.

"Are you sure you're feeling ok enough to go?" I asked, stepping back onto the road as I passed by Sasha and Abraham.

"She's right," Rick nodded, "It's a long trip and you're just getting over-"

"It's a superficial graze," Eugene cut him off, "Proteins are binding, plus we need to discuss ammunition production and manufacture, so let's roll."