xliv.

"What?" Sam reacted to Dean's plan for himself. You watched outside the old Mexican restaurant through the wooden blinds, "He's gonna--gonna send you into outer space?"

"No, well, he didn't say outer space." Dean tried to make up for how it sounded. He sounded crazy.

"This is madness, Dean!" Sam objected, stepping a bit closer to his brother.

"Far from it, I'm afraid." Death got up from his chair 

"No one's asking you." Sam said, you silently cheered him on.

"Hear him out!" Dean told his brother and Sam backed off a bit.

"Our conundrum is simple, Sam." Death began, "Your brother cannot be killed, and the Mark cannot be destroyed, not without inciting a far greater evil than any of us have ever known."

"What evil?" Sam asked,

"The Darkness." Death announced.

"What the hell is that?" Sam tilted his head finding it almost comical.

"Well, what does it sound like?" Dean rolled his eyes, "Does it sound like a good thing?"

"Even if I remove Dean from the playing field, we're still left with you, loyal, dogged Sam, who I suspect will never rest until he sets his brother free –" Death walks around Dean to stand between Sam and Dean. As he gets closer to Sam, Dean walks further away. This didn't set right with you as you began to come inside the restaurant, staying at the front door, "will never rest until his brother is free of the Mark, which simply cannot happen, lest the Darkness be set free. Then there was that time you stood me up."

"You traded my life." Sam turned to Dean, betrayed again.

"I'm willing to live with this thing forever, as long as I know that I and it will never hurt another living thing." Dean said and your heart became strained. You had so many feelings for him.

"This isn't you." Sam said for you, "This doesn't make any sense."

"No," Dean rose his voice, "it makes perfect sense if you stop thinking about yourself for one damn minute!"

"It's for the greater good." Death bargained, "Once you consider that, this makes all the sense in the world."

Sam was breathing heavily as he stands in the middle of Death and Dean. He looks over to Death and back over to Dean. Dean knew this was a lot, he didn't know if he could even handle this. Channeling into his tunnel vision, he just couldn't stand that he was hurting everyone.

"Remember when we were in that church, making Crowley human, about to close the Gates of Hell?" Dean asked, putting the world into perspective, "Well, you sure as hell were ready to die for the greater good then."

"Yeah, and, Dean, you pulled me back." Sam remembered.

"And I was wrong." Dean admitted, "You were right, Sam. You knew that this world would be better without us in it."

"No, no, no, wait a second." Sam held his hands up to stop him, "You're twisting my words here, Dean."

"Why? Because we -- we track evil and kill it? The family business? Is that it?" Dean was at the end of his wits, "Look at the tape, Sam. Evil tracks us. And it nukes everything in our vicinity -- our family, our friends. It's time we put a proper name to what we really are and we deal with it."

"Stop it!" You exclaimed from behind the door. You couldn't help it, couldn't keep it in anymore. You couldn't listen to him say how horrible he was, when he was so far from it. You opened up the door and you made eye contact with Dean immediately.