xlviii.

"Well, this is encouraging." You sighed, seeing the disheveled and abandoned look of the hospital. The hospital looked in worse shape than Jenna.

"Wait here." Dean told Jenna as you three went to the arsenal in the trunk.

"So, what are you thinking?" Sam asked.

"I don't really know what to think. And I don't know what to expect either, so I'm just gonna chuck it all in." Dean shrugged, opening the trunk.

"This is the darkness, right? It's got to be." Sam held up the trunk.

"So, what, she shows up and everybody goes '28 Days Later'? We didn't." Dean rolled his eyes and loaded his shotgun.

"Yeah, but we were in the car, and you were -- you said she protected you. So, I mean maybe it wasn't her." You threw out into the the thought process. Your eyes saw the darkness that tainted this, "It was the smoke, everyone who was outside, like the road crew, they were exposed. I mean, you saw that. That wasn't human."

"So, what? The smoke mutated 'em? Sure, why not? Just a couple hours ago, I killed Death. I'm pretty much open for anything." Dean said. Giving a gun to Sam. "But mutated into what?"

"All right, you know what, one thing at a time. Let's just get her some help and then we'll deal with whatever comes next." Sam suggested. And you guys nodded, you walking in first and unarmed.

"I got to call this in." Jenna muttered from behind you. Sam put her on a wheelchair found outside.

"No, bad idea. More people, more bodies. We'll deal with this." Dean said, slinging his gun behind him.

"You know what, Dean, I'm gonna take a look around." You said, hearing a banging from upstairs. "You'll sew her up, right?"

"What-" Dean was ready to argue, but your smug look had referred to your earlier fight and he felt he had to give in. You loved this effect you had on such a masculine man. It always made you happy, "All right. You know this place?"

"This way." Jenna pointed in the opposite way, Sam and Dean took her away and you were left alone.

You were sneaking around the dark, flickering hallways, trying to follow that rhythmic pattern of knocking. You followed it all the way to find a member of the road crew from down the road. He appeared to be trying to break into a supply closet. You bumped into the side of the desk and he clearly heard you.

You ducked behind the desk and prayed he wouldn't look. He got closer, you could feel it with your heightened adrenaline. But then the sound of a baby crying erupted, and he went back to the supply closet to continue banging and trying to break in.

~

In the hospital exam room with Dean and Jenna, Dean was prepping supplies to sew Jenna up.

"This is gonna hurt like a son of a bitch." Dean prepared her as he sterilized the wound. She hardly flinched.

"I knew those boys' sisters, their parents." Jenna said, horrified.

"You did what you were trained to do. It's all right." Dean comforted her with how he knew.

"They don't train you to shoot your friends. I panicked. I could have-" she tried to come up with something but couldn't.

"Those boys weren't boys. They were monsters, and they were a threat. Anybody could have panicked. Not anybody could have done what you did." He smiled at her, and continued to stitch up her wound.

"This job is supposed to be saving people." Jenna winced.

"Yeah, well.. It sounds better on paper, doesn't it?" Dean said, trying to finish up as quickly as possible. While thinking he remembers more of what happened during the smoke storm:

Dean was back in the bubble she set for him, all around him was black smoke and very dim light. If he squinted he could see a woman, The Darkness.

"Well, now that you've said your thanks, let's talk about what happens next." Dean crossed his arms, resting his hand over the clothes that concealed his angel blade.

"I like it here. With you. I haven't felt this peaceful in a long, long time." She sighed, stepping closer. Dean took a step back, thinking about his promise to you.

"Well, let's get something straight -- I'm not here to bring you peace. I know what you are." Dean fought back. But she only seemed endeared.

"Really? I've been gone so long, I didn't think anyone remembered." She said, clearly infatuated with him.

"Well, Death painted a hell of a picture." Dean shifted uncomfortably. He had to admit, it was this strange tangling of feelings he had right now. It was a different type of attraction he had to her than you. He just knew he wanted to be around her, he didn't feel the need to kiss her but just needed to be here.

"I don't know this Death, and he doesn't know me." She innocently cocked her head to the left. She approached him again and Dean couldn't have that.

"So, are you saying I shouldn't try and kill you right now?" Dean pulled out his knife. Though by the way she was able to pull on his heart strings as if she were a puppeteer, he didn't know if he could.

"Am I saying that? Or are you?"

"Dean?" Sam ran in, Dean told him to keep an eye on you if anything happened. But for now, Dean tried focusing on his hands to stop his head from wandered and only nodded. "Dean, you're gunna want to see this."

"Can it wait? I'm a little busy." Dean said, preoccupied with tying off the stitches the way he had done all these times before.

"Sorry, it can't. You gotta look at the security cameras, I'll stay here with Jenna." Sam came and helped Jenna breathe while Dean gave up begrudgingly.

Dean went to the security cameras, to see you sitting behind a desk on the second floor, behind was a man with black veins pounding anomalistically on a supply closet door.

~

You were hiding behind the desk. You were slightly panicked, feeling like you were in a horror film. You had to help that baby, you were a different person now than a year ago. You could afford to be reckless. No one would find you unless you allow it.

Suddenly a silhouetted figure appeared at the end of the hallway, he was cautiously walking until he landed under the flickering light of the hallway. You prepared by holding up a hand but the light revealed the best face you could ask to see: Dean.

"Jesus, I was going to hurt you." You took your hand back as you whispered to him. The banging stopped. "Get down."

He came down next to you, "You think I'm just going to let you be vulnerable around her, by yourself? You're unarmed-"

"Not now." You stood up ready to attack whatever it was, when there was a large crash. You saw nothing there. Peeking around the corner, the road crew monster had collapsed and died, "He's dead."

"You do that?" Dean asked, coming to stand next to you.

"I didn't do anything." You admitted, then heard the baby again.

"Hello? Hello?" You knocked on the door.

"(Y/N). What are you doing-?" Dean followed you watching your back.

"Is he dead?" A shy man's voice asked through the door, trying to keep his child okay.

"Yeah, um... Yeah, he's dead. It's okay to come out." You tried to be as comforting as possible.

"Sir, we're FBI." Dean came up to join you, "Here. I'm gonna slide our badges under the door, okay?"

Dean leans down slowly as you look for anyone around you. He slides his under then asks for yours silently and does the same. Almost the instant it came through, the door opened and a man with an infant came from the dark and into the dimly lit hallway.

"Help us, please."