Chapter 7

Since I was on a higher ranking mission, I chose not to bring my books. I returned Forked Shadows to the library before meeting my team at the gate. I didn't finish the book but figured I would finish it after the mission was over. 

"This must be the longest time I've never seen you without a book," Naruto commented, looking at me every now and then. I shrugged my shoulders and looked out on the water. We were all seated in a small rowing boat and the boatman rowed us across the misty lake to the other side.

"Shhh! You're too loud!" Tazuna hissed at Naruto. "There are spies everywhere, and if they catch us, we're dead!"

We stepped out onto the other side and quietly made our way down the road. Kakashi Sensei was at the front, and the four of us Genin stood around Tazuna in a secure, tight bond.

"Duck!" Everyone narrowly dodged a large spinning object before standing upright to see a large sword embed itself into a nearby tree.

"Kakashi...Hatake," a voice said, and a man appeared, standing on the edge of the sword. "The copy ninja. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Zabuza...one of the Seven Swordsman of the Mist."

"I see you have a few brats with you, eh? The last survivor, a demon child, and--" Zabuza's eyes were on me. "A princess."

I looked at Sakura. She seemed flattered to be called a princess.

If only she knew...if only she understood, I thought.

"What do you want, Zabuza?" Kakashi Sensei glared.

"Easy. I want the old man you kids are protecting. Hand him over, and no blood will be shed. Sounds easy enough, right?"

"We're not handing him over," Kakashi Sensei shot back.

"Is that so? Then by force, it will be!" Zabuza instantly disappeared into the foggy mist. Kakashi Sensei shoved the forehead protector over his left eye and revealed his Sharingan.

"Oh? So you're going to use that? Let's see how interesting you can make this fight!"

"What's that?" Sakura wondered in awe.

"You four! Protect Tazuna!" And with those words, Kakashi Sensei threw himself into battle.

"That's the Sharingan, a Kekkei Genkai passed only through the Uchiha Clan," Sasuke said, watching Kakashi Sensei through narrowed eyes. "But how--?"

"Get him, Sensei!" Naruto cheered.

I watched a series of hand motions, jutsu performing, and one water technique after another. Both ninjas were trying to outdo the other. Kakashi copied everything Zabuza did and tried everything he could to make the jutsu even stronger than his opponent's.

However, during the fight, Zabuza gained the upper hand and caught Kakashi Sensei in his water prison.

"Run away! He's too strong!" Kakashi Sensei yelled frantically to us.

"Hahaha...just hand over the old guy and I'll let your Sensei go," Zabuza proposed, looking at us all.

"No way! We're not handing him over!" Naruto screamed.

"Naruto!"

"Really then? Alright. Let's do this then. You guys against me. If you can beat me, I'll let you go on your way."

"I'm not going to run away!" Naruto yelled fist clenched. "Let's do this!" While Zabuza was up against Naruto and Sasuke, I decided to start my own preparations.

Blood of my bone, bestow unto me

A ritual of death from my plea. 

When the thirteen nations of life have bled

Bring unto me, the army of the undead.

I narrowed my eyes slightly and averted my attention to the edge of the thicket. A hand pushed up from the ground. Another followed. In mere seconds, more hands appeared from the ground and hoisted bodies from the ground. Soon enough, I had an army of skeletons hiding behind trees in the forest surrounding us.

"Tired out? Why don't you let the princess have a turn?" Zabuza sneered. Sakura paled instantly.

"What? But--"

"Don't even think about hurting her!" Naruto screamed, only to be hurled back with another swing of Zabuza's sword.

"Shut up. Now then, how about you entertain me. At least your strength might be more interesting than these boys."

Sakura looked back at me, her entire body shaking. I looked back at her impassively. "What?"

"I can't do this!" She gasped.

"Why?"

"Because I'll most likely be killed!"

"Most likely?"

"If I attack him, I'll get hurt!" She hissed.

"Time's-a-wasting," Zabuza called.

"You leave them alone!" Naruto called weakly.

"Argh!" Sasuke tried to pull himself off the ground but Zabuza kicked him to the ground.

"If you don't hurry up, I'll kill this Uchiha brat," Zabuza warned us girls.

"Okay."

"What?" Sakura whirled around to face me, her face white. "What are you saying!?"

I didn't answer.

Zabuza raised his sword above his head and swung it down, right at Sasuke's neck.

I couldn't see it, but I knew the violet iris of my eyes had turned ashen black and the black pupil had changed into white.