Chapter 31

Author's note: Gore and dissection.

The smell of rotting flesh permeated through the air, cutting and weaving throughout the island. I couldn't escape from it. From the twisted, grimy stink to the collect of insects feasting upon the humans, each human being carried to the scaffold smelled worse than the first.

The skeletons transporting the corpses arrived at the scaffold where the pre-ritual would start. Each corpse would be cleansed, be dissected of their organs, be burned at the pyre, and cleansed once more. That was the pre-ritual.

As for me, I was led to my room to change into suitable  attire for the final ceremony. My maids dutifully zipped me up in a crimson red dress with a layered skirt from the waist down to my feet. Red heels decorated with jewels were fastened around my feet, and my hair was pulled into a low braided bun. A black headpiece adorned with large rubies was fastened around my head, and to finish the look, a touch of ruby lipgloss was swiped lightly onto my lips.

The maids stood back as if to admire their handiwork, but I knew they could see nothing out of their eye sockets. I turned my head towards the lattice window and stepped lightly towards it. From where I stood, I could see the cleansing pool filled with alive skeletons and dead corpses. The pre-ritual had already started.

"Let's go." The door opened for me, and I strode into the hall and downstairs to leave the castle.

As soon as I stepped outside, I was flanked by a squad of soldiers, surrounding the servants that were directly behind me. We walked past the cleansing pool, before heading to the dissecting station.

Corpses were placed on stone tables where their stomachs would be cut open and their organs would be taken out. Heart, stomach, liver, kidneys, pancreas and the intestines would be taken out before the brain was taken out without damaging the skull. Once all the major organs had been removed, the nose would be cut off.

"Mistress," the pre-ritual servants called to me, acknowledging my presence. I nodded and stepped forward for a closer look at the procedure.

A large rod was brought forth to take out the brain. At the end of each rod, a thin, narrow hook was used to pull the remains of the brain out. The other end of the rod was a spear head, sharpened to fit through the nostrils. The servants would mash up the brain through the nose with the spear head then use the hook to pull it out from the nose. The brains would be discarded and the empty corpse would be taken to the pyre.

Nodding once more, I continued my travel to the pyre where a large furnace of iron was being filled with coal. A seven meter hole had been dug long time ago to fit the furnace inside to accommodate the short crane right beside the hole. A large grid was fastened directly over the coals and another safety grid was secured over the hole to prevent any accidents...not that my skeletons couldn't get out once they were in...

Here, more and more dissected corpses and their corresponding skeletons showed up. The early arrival groups went ahead and placed the corpses in metal cages that could hold seven to eight corpses at a time. Then the lid locked shut and were hooked to a crane on the right side of the furnace.

On the left, several more cages were held with people, all locked and ready to go. A skeleton stood on the lid of each cage, the corresponding hook to the crane in hand.

I turned my attention back to the furnace and watched as a blue fire began to come alive. The crane also began moving its arm to lift the cage off the ground several feet to lower the cage into the furnace. This process takes quite awhile to burn off every bit of flesh off the body.

After watching for a few more minutes, I headed towards the second cleansing pool where the freshly burned corpses would get their second washing before the main ritual, which I would be performing.

I finally walked towards the altar, which was held in another deep hole approximately forty meters deep. The only way to get down was to walk down the twin spiral staircases made of stone. On the floor of the hole, an intricate pattern made of glass surrounded the altar, throne, and pedestal.

I sat down onto the throne and waited patiently for the first corpse to come. In front of me, stood the altar and to the right of the throne, stood the pedestal, which held a knife.

Everything was ready.