Chapter 32

Cold steps from skeleton feet echoed in the sanctuary. The altar covered in human organ remains from dissected corpses. The entire front of my dress was splattered in blood. The decaying of organs on the platter are hardly considered fresh, yet the ritual continued on. The knife in my hand served a constant reminder of my duty.

"How many more are left?" I turned to a servant.

"240," the skeleton replied.

"I see." I lifted my eyes to the cloudy, white sky, not a trace of the shining sun visible through the thick mist.

I stared at the disgusting, soiled altar in front of me. I found my arm out off to the side and looked at the line of corpses remaining. I have stood here for over six days now, completing my duty without fail. Everything was almost done.

"Keep them coming."

"Yes, Mistress."

I jutted out my chin and watched another skeleton corpse was placed on the altar with its coordinating organs on the side pedestal.

I poised my raised knife above the heart on the tray when an intruder ship invaded the island's sensor barrier.

Instantly, all my skeletons turned their heads towards the bay. I looked up as well, even though the sanctuary was deep inside a hole. I narrowed my eyes and the sky instead and ordered, "Don't kill just yet."

I turned back to the task at hand and continued the ritual, speeding up the words and finishing the ritual quicker than before. As the process continued, I counted the number of invaders approaching the island on a ship.

"Three intruders incoming," I muttered softly, cutting open the lungs on the pedestal.

I felt the three approach the sanctuary, heavily watched by my soldiers. They walked down the steps of the twin staircases until they stood in front of me. I opened my eyes and stared at them.

Black cloaks, red, swirling clouds, hats with paper fringes...obscure faces....

"And what does the Akatsuki want with me?"

Kazuku stepped forward and recited, "Our leader has a request."

"A rare," I mused, watching the skeleton sit up from the altar and join the others. "Do you have--"

Sasori produced a white perfect peach for me to see. "Here it is."

I glanced at the line of skeletons,waiting to be placed under my direct command..."if you would wait a few minutes I'll have this cleared up."

"Hurry up then. I don't like to kept waiting," Sasori grumbled.

"Patience is a virtue," I whispered, but he heard it.

"Shut up, Brat."

I said no more and sped up the ritual until finally, the last one was placed on the altar, underwent the process, and sat up like a new being.

"Done." I dropped the knife into the waiting hands of a maid and walked in front of the altar and to Sasori. "The peach?"

He handed the fragile fruit to me, and I instantly cradled the plump fruit in my hands. I examined the fruit, just like I had done before with Haku.

"Perfect," I announced, holding it carefully in my hands. "So...what is the request?"

"This." Itachi, the third member of the group, handed a folder to me. I handed the peach back to Sasori and took the file with my soiled hands.

My eyes widened at the task written on paper. "This is...!"

Suddenly, my mouth twisted into a smile. "A set payment is an agreement. I'll do it." I took the peach from Sasori and sank my teeth into the flesh of the fruit, red juice spluttering out.

"Then we'll take our leave."

"Goodbye." I watched them leave the sanctuary and ate the rest of the peach, red juice dribbling down my mouth and mixing with the blood of organs.

"This should be interesting..."