Chapter 21

What did people do without a specific goal?

As I pondered this question, I met up with Kabuto at a deserted park after the second part of the exams. He had chosen to quit, deciding he wasn't capable enough. From his Chakra control and capacity, I'd say he was lying.

"Aisu-chan, how were the exams?" Kabuto grinned, standing up from the bench he was seated upon.

"I don't know. Normal?" I sat down on the bench next to him and stared at the openly sky. "What do you want?"

"What is your response to Lord Orochimaru's offer?" Kabuto asked curiously.

"No." I said nothing else, but he wanted to know why. "For no reason at all."

"Ah, it would be such a pity to have your talents go to waste, Princess," Kabuto sighed, standing up. "Lord Orochimaru would be able to utilize your powers or make you even stronger--"

"I'm not interested in strength or power."

"Well, you're a princess, after all." I shrugged slightly and leaned back. "I can see this conversation isn't going my way. Then, excuse me, I'll be leaving now." Kabuto bowed quickly and left.

I stared at the man disappearing off before returning home. As usual, my apartment was set up for the evening: curtains drawn close, windows locked, and lights turned off. Two servants cooked dinner, lit candles, and cleaned the house while I was gone.

"Prepare some coffee," I ordered, handing my jacket and shoes to a nearby corpse. "Are the annual preparations ready?"

"Yes, Princess, the pyre is cleansed, the bodies are in their designated graves, and the firewood has been gathered and dried.

"Once I return, the ceremony will begin," I decided, sitting down at the table. Dinner was served and my loyal servants left through the backdoor with unkept hydrangea bushes.

Ceremony? Pyre? Every year, I had to burn new corpse from ships that would randomly drop off on the island of the Death Kingdom. The number of subordinates would grow numerously, so I had to make sure the island doesn't over-accumulate with bodies.

The ceremony was simple enough. Corpses that were dumped off of ships were immediately taken to the freezer room in the dungeons. Where else were my servants supposed to store them? During the summertime, we would host a ceremony to burn the flesh off the corpses with the pyre before cleaning the fresh skeletons and re-organizing them. Afterwards, the final ritual would start, and all those new skeletons would be forced to submit under my command.

Skeletons are the most loyal creatures I have ever known. They have no mind of their own, yet they follow their leader explicitly. Their previously life may have been filled with morals and standards, but under me, they don't follow them anymore.

Once I finished the fluffy omelet and parfait, I took my coffee to my room and stared outside aimlessly. 

"It's drizzling outside," I muttered, sipping the warm beverage. "I wonder if the flesh has rotted yet." 

Maybe I should take up Kabuto's offer to work for Orochimaru. I had nothing else to do other than finish every single book in the library. Perhaps Orochimaru has a selection of books for me to chose from.