Chapter 30

Of all the experiences that I have had, returning home seemed to feel the most peaceful.

My Konoha citizenship ID card had been stowed away under the Genin files until I would return from my trip. I was free from Team Seven and could do whatever I wished. My apartment had already been emptied and the keys sent to the home management office before I embarked on my journey.

In short, my existence was no longer necessary in Konoha.

The ship I am currently on was not taking me back directly to the Death Island. No, instead, it would bring me to a minor village where I would take a boat and disappear into the fog late into the night.

I pulled the blanket around myself and looked over the side of the wooden railing. If I relaxed my body and stretched my senses, I could feel several soldier skeletons clinging to the keel of the ship. Like any noble, I had guards nearby, ready to defend me. I had around twenty thousand ready to teleport through my tattoo engraved on my back and another ten thousand through the ground. Everywhere I went, I made sure I had hundreds of servants in the ground.

When I went out on sea, like now, my skeletons would have to swim from the sea floor up to the surface to stand guard, keeping a lookout for any potential enemies. Others waited from their watery graves, watching and waiting patiently.

Then again, a skeleton had no feeling.

I looked up at the lantern bolted to the mast of the ship before heading inside the cabin. I would reach my next stop in half an hour.

Another two hours later, I sat in a skeleton raft, skeletons propelling from below to move the boat forward. The craft itself was sturdy and two skeletons propped themselves up to form a seat for me to sit.

"Mistress," a warbled call echoed in my ears. I gathered the handbag on my lap and stood to my feet. "Welcome home."

I lifted my eyes from the water to the army of skeletons standing on the shore, awaiting for my arrival.

The soldiers stood in the front of the group, armed with all kinds of close-combat weaponry, while the long-rang soldiers stood on the towers, saluting me at a distance.

"Welcome home," the rest replied, giving me a bow.

As the raft kissed the dock, several servants stood off to the side, my heavier baggage in their hands.

"Mistress."

"Are all the preparations done?" I asked smoothly, stepping shore, the cold water from the dark sea rolling up over my sandals and feet.

"Yes, Mistress."

"Then put my luggage away and gather at the alter," I ordered, watching the crowd split up to let me through. They all bowed in silence once more and hurried to obey my command.

As my subordinates and subjects drew closer around me and escorted me back to the dark castle, I could smell the human decay in the basement.

"Let's begin the ritual, shall we?"