Chatper 16

I stared at the slip of paper in my hands. It was the certification that I could take the Chunin Exams. I looked at the rest of my team. Sakura looked nervous, Sasuke stared back impassively, and Naruto was yelling his head off.

"Are you going to take it?" Sasuke asked finally.

"Depends."

"On what?" he onyx eyes bore into mine.

"If I feel the motivation to do so."

He narrowed his eyes at me, almost mockingly.

"I'm taking it." Of course he would. He wants to prove himself to others that he is strong. He wants that self-recognition. Once he has that recognition, he might consider working up the ranks to get better training.

"That involves me how?" I asked, looking at my certification.

"Nothing."

I nodded and looked at Sakura.

"And you?"

"Huh? Oh! Um, I don't know..." she looked hesitantly at her paper. "I'll figure it out tomorrow."

"Hn." Sasuke looked over his shoulder at Naruto who was dancing in joy with his paper in one hand. "Looks like he'll be joining as well."

"So it seems."

"Um, guess we'll meet up in two weeks, huh?" Sakura said, trying to smile, but both Sasuke and I could tell she was still thinking about the exams.

"Yeah."

"Bye." We quietly parted ways, leaving Naruto at the meeting spot by himself.

Two weeks later, I sat in a tea shop, absentmindedly sipping tea, while I read my book.

"Aren't you going to take the exams?" A voice called in front of me. I raised my eyes from the page to see Kabuto sitting down in front of me. "You still can make it--it's just two block away."

"Why? I see no reason to take it," I answered, turning back to my book.

"The rest of your team can't take it."

"And?"

"My mistake. You don't care about those things," he sighed. "Never mind that. He wants to meet you in the exams. Besides, participating in the exams should be much more exciting than reading another book...for the third time."

"And?" I heard him sigh again.

"Well, it seems I can't convince you any more than I already have. I hope to see you there." Kabuto left, leaving me in peace. There wasn't anything I wanted to gain from taking the exams. If there's no goal, there's no point in wasting energy. Kabuto wanted my teammate, but I wanted nothing.

That makes me the perfect ninja. To be able to perform every duty by oneself.

However, as I shifted in my seat, I could feel a tightness building in my shoulders. Kabuto was right: there was no point in sitting here, doing nothing.

I snapped my book shut and left the tea shop. I might a well do something.