Chapter 22

"I forfeit," I said, raising a hand. Shouts of disappointment and annoyance rippled throughout the audience.

Minutes ago, a boy named Kankuro had been paired up against Shino, my former classmate from the Academy. However, Kankuro immediately backed out, instantly making Shino the winner. Seconds after the scene, a doctor alerted the proctor that one of the contestants (my paired up opponent) had collapsed and need surgery immediately.

As a result, Shino and I were re-paired up, a suggestion from the Kage box. I decided right there and then, I didn't want to fight, so I back out as well.

Shino stared impassively at me, almost calculatingly. I turned away, heading back to the contestant box.

"Why did you forfeit?!" Naruto yelled, frowning at me. "You could have beaten the guy up!"

"I have work to do," I said vaguely, sitting on a vacant chair. "I need to conserve my energy."

Actually, I don't. This is my way of saying, "I have to get ready to go home and perform a ceremony so don't bother me with Chunin duties or work."

So two fights were canceled on the spot, accelerating the pace of the matches. The proctor scratched his head confusedly before announcing the next pair. Kankuro's older sister took the challenge and was paired up against my classmate Shikamaru.

"Maybe I'll forfeit as well," he said out loud, but Naruto shoved him over the railing and began cheering, dragging the crowds with him.

"COME ON, SHIKAMARU!"

"FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!" the crowds were bored and wanted excitement and blood. If anything, Shikamaru and Temari's match would make the crowd happy.

I watched the fight take place in the arena, reading both abilities from the two. Temari's element was wind, and Shikamaru's was yin release. He manipulates shadows out of the nothing. Shadows are non-tangible by nature, but since normal people cannot move another shadow other than their own, shadows are considered part of the yin release category.

After a few more matches, the long-awaited match came: Uchiha Sasuke vs. Gaara of the Sand.

The crowds went wild, as the two boys faced each other. Sasuke's form was dirty and bruised from his last-second training session, but Gaara's form was clean and untouched.

"Begin!" Instantly, Gaara's sand swirled dangerously around him and Sasuke dragged one foot back before darting off.

Cheers and screams erupted from the crowd, and people began to talk.

"The Uchiha boy is going to win!"

"He's going so fast!"

"I'm betting on the second kid!"

"Yeah, he can control sand!"

The two fought furiously, pulling the attention towards themselves even more. However, I was growing bored. I stood up and turned down the dark hallway leading to the infirmary inside.

Suddenly, the entire stadium shook. I was flung to the wall and thrown to the ground, but I jumped up and anchored myself to the walls with Chakra.

Immediately, I headed outside and found the entire crowd had fallen asleep from a simple genjutsu. 

Crschwing!

I stepped aside to let a kunai stab my standby skeleton (who had appeared when I had reached the audience stands). In a few quick movements, I spun around and kicked my leg right into the enemy ninja's stomach and took him on, head-to-head. 

The moment I pinned the ninja to the ground, I grabbed his neck in a chokehold and forced the kunai into his arm. Painful, but easy. I lodged the knife as deep as I could before yanking it out and jabbing his hand and calf. 

"Don't go anywhere," I said, as an ax was handed to me. I swung the side of the ax down hard on both his knees, effectively fracturing the bones. I shot a glance at my skeleton. "Keep him alive." 

I spotted Sakura coming to, while Naruto and Shikamaru ran towards her, attempting to regroup. My other teammate and classmates were no where to be found. 

"What's going on?" Sakura asked frantically, waving me over. 

"We've been attacked," Kakashi Sensei said grimly. "Listen very carefully, the four of you. I'm sending you guys on your first A rank mission. Stop Sasuke from fighting Gaara or his siblings, understand? I won't be able to go with you, but I'll send Pakkun with you guys." 

"Yo." Kakashi Sensei summoned a dog wearing a Konoha protector. Pakkun holds up a paw at us. "Are they your students, Kakashi?" 

"Shikamaru is Asuma's kid," Kakashi Sensei said quickly. "Good luck!"