Chapter 26

In the end, Naruto recruited one of the three Sanin, the perverted author.

"Pervy Sensei, this is Aisu!" Naruto introduced us. "Aisu, this is Pervy Sensei. He likes to peep--"

"Ahaha, that's enough Naruto!" Jiraiya exclaimed, smacking a hand over the boy's mouth. "It's for my books!"

"A perverted--" Naruto shouted, but Jiraiya started strangling him, while whispering bribes that would work in his favor.

Twenty minutes later, we started over.

"Naruto, did you pack yet?" My travel backpack was with me, and Jiraiya, a wandering traveler, also had a pack at hand. Naruto...did not.

"GAHHH! I forgot! Wait for me! I'll be quick!" Naruto dashed off and soon out of our sight.

"Let's sit over here and wait for him. Care for some tea?" Jiraiya asked cordially, leading me to a nearby tea shop.

"No, thank you," I responded. We didn't speak for awhile, but soon enough, he spoke again.

"Aisu...you must be...on Naruto's team right!?" He exclaimed, grinning at me. "Wow, two girls on the same team, I'm jealous!"

"He has eyes only for Sakura," I said. "I'm a convenient person at his disposal."

"Now, now, don't say things like that! By the way, do you have any money on you? Even though Naruto asked me to chaperon your trip, we don't know how many days this will take and I don't have a ton of money to pay for all of our expenses."

"You won't have to pay for me a single yen," I answered.

"Great! I sure hope Naruto knows that he needs to bring his as well! Hopefully, we'll be able to get information along the way!"

"Information for what? Your personal interests or for Naruto's interest?"

"Naruto's of course!" I doubt that.

After half an hour waiting, Jiraiya said, "Are you that child that survived the dump island?"

At that, my ears perked up. "Yes."

"What is your goal? What do you wish to accomplish?" He asked, eyes narrowing at me. "The girl who was sent to the island to be discarded of, only to be nursed and raised in the arms of dead people, can control every single corpse that goes to your island. The amount of power in your possession is ten times greater than the five nations' man force. What are you looking for?"

I stared back at him coolly. "For someone as great as yourself...you are utterly blind."

Nothing that was the answer. But for someone like Jiraiya, that would be nigh impossible to believe.

He knew how war and death started: the want for power, money, position, etc. Everything man could ever desire was placed in the world, only to be fought over it. Even if a man could own everything in this world, he could and would still want more. Up until now, everything that Jiraiya had seen and experienced was following all the rules and concepts of selfishness. 

For someone like me, someone who didn't wish for power, money, glory, position, or anything the world had to offer, it was unthinkable that I wouldn't use my abilities to reach higher places and better ground. 

But there was nothing I craved for. Nothing I desired. 

"I'm back!"

"Right! Let's go then!" I stood up silently and followed them outside the village gates, give a slight nod in acknowledgment to the gatekeepers Izumo and Kotetsu.

Our adventure begins, and I would fulfill my duty.