Chapter 40

"It's probably not the throne room," Tenten said resignedly, heading back towards the exit. However, the door wouldn't budge, causing her to shriek in annoyance.

"What's wrong?" Shikamaru asked, knowing full well what was wrong.

"The door! The stupid door won't move!" Tenten yelled, kicking the stone walls with said hidden door. "Also, what are you asking everything? What should we do? This isn't even the throne room, and our communicators don't work!"

"Why aren't you the leader?" Shikamaru grouched, trying to get her to understand he was under the rule.

"Do you really want me to say it? Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not as intelligent as you!" She screamed angrily at him.

While Shikamaru calmly dealt with Tenten, Sasuke was at his wits end. He and Shino had ended up chasing after the Fake Itachi for awhile, dodging random attacks, when Shino suddenly collapsed. After looking at his companion's bracelet, Sasuke learned that Ino had been injured, causing Shino's poisoning.

"Foolish little brother," Fake Itachi called to Sasuke, riling him up even more. "You'll never--"

"Shut up!" Sasuke roared, running after his brother, leaving Shino behind in rage.

Shino, who had attempted to keep the poison at bay with his bugs, got back up to his feet and slowly began inching his way across the hall after Sasuke, the poison in his body slowing down the fatal poison from his vital organs. However, he knew he wouldn't last long enough. He probably only had several more minutes.

"But what could you possibly do in such a situation?" I wondered out loud, leaning my chin on my hand. "It would have been better for you if you had remained on the ground. But since you chose to do this...your comrade will die."

I turned my attention to the other monitor and watched as Kiba screamed in horror as the poison injected at his wrist quickly poisoned him to death, as bloody tears ran down his face. Sakura was nowhere to be seen, as another trap started and a large vertical compressor began opening and closing. Kiba stumbled and lied on the floor, which had changed into a conveyor belt, moving him slowly to the compressor. Sakura knew exactly what would happen, but because she valued her life, she chose to turn and run away, ignoring Kiba and Akamaru's pleas for help.

She couldn't save them, her own bracelet flashing her death sentence. She felt helpless as she ran along the hallway, desperate to find the end.

Soon enough, she reached the end of the hallway, unscathed and flung open the door, leading her into a maze of various doors, which led her to numerous hallways. Sakura hurriedly threw open the nearest door and after a moment of hesitation, ran into the hallway.

"I'll keep her there for awhile until the others catch up," I murmured, hitting another button on the remote. I checked in on Shino and watched him collapse onto the ground, unable to move anymore. His bugs had helped him to an extent, but once those bugs were at their limit, the poison continuously seeping into his bloodstream would kill him.

Number of survivors left: 9

19 hours left