Chapter 19

What did I mean by "humans are fickle creatures"?

From the moment Morino presented us the final question, I knew he was going to fail us all. If it hadn't been for a certain someone who had decided to step outside the box and verbalize his decision, no one would have passed the Chunin Exams this time.

Morino believe and saw that none of us were brave enough to face the intensity and pressure of the "final question." I and a few others were more than capable of handling it, but the rest of our teams had to be able to take the question as well.

For example, let's say Sasuke and I are able to take the question and Naruto and Sakura are not. It didn't matter to Morino if half of our team had the guts; everyone mattered. Not even 75% percent of the team would have been enough for our strict protector. We needed everyone on board.

The reason why Morino had chose not to fail us was because of Naruto's speech.

First, more than half of the Genin here were more than confident to take the final question. Those that left and took their teammates secured a 100% confirmation and determination from the remaining applicants.

Second, Naruto's words only strengthened and clarified their resolve to take the final question. Morino could see it in our faces and demeanor. If Naruto had kept his mouth shut, there would have been a 50-50 chance Morino was debating on to see if he would pass us or fail us.

Morino is a fickle person. How unreliable.

Naruto and the rest of us remaining applicants had changed his mind.

Once Morino had dismissed us and introduced our second protector Anko to us, we filed out of the classroom and headed to our respective meeting spots.

"You were only thinking of yourself!" Sakura scolded, punching Naruto on the head. "You couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you?!" If only you knew, Sakura...

"Owww, Sakura-chan! Stop hitting me!"

"As if! And you!" She jabbed her finger at me. "You were LATE! We were supposed to be there at eight in the morning, sharp!"

"That's rich, coming from an indecisive girl."

"What?"

I lifted my eyebrow slightly. "You were debating whether or not to take the exams."

"And what about you, huh? I bet you were deciding too!"

"No, I chose not to. An acquaintance of mine asked, so I participated in the exams."

"You're so full of yourself!" Sakura ranted loudly in my face.

"Full of myself? I should be. I compose mostly of myself." I instantly caught the hand aimed to slap my face.

"Shut up! You are so annoying!"

"Sakura-chan, Aisu, Let's stop this, okay?" Naruto tried, while Sakura flailed around, trying to free herself.

"We are supposed to work together," Sasuke grunted.

"Yeah! You should be more cooperative and work with us, Bookworm!" Sakura snapped. "Right, Sasuke-kun? Tell her!"

Said teammate sighed and began walking away. I released Sakura's hand, as the girl ran after the boy, pestering him. "Meeting adjourned." I left Naruto who promptly chased the duo.

"Aisu." Kakashi Sensei walked beside me at a leisurely pace. "You shouldn't agitate Sakura on purpose."

"I was merely taking her bait. She offered it, so I took it." We walked on a little more in silence before he spoke again.

"If you can't even work with your team, I'll have no choice but to remove you from this team," he warned, but I shrugged, uncaringly.

"Go ahead then."

"I'm giving you a warning, Aisu. Don't force me to evoke your Shinobi rights."

"Do what you want." I didn't care. I don't have a goal or a purpose in life. In other words, it's just life. Children are born to become ninjas to protect a village that gave them a place to stay. There was an emotional connection, one I didn't have.

We stopped walking as I unlocked my apartment door, and I went inside. "Bye, Sensei."

"Good luck for tomorrow."