Chapter 20

I sat in the vacant chair, watching the scene unfold before me.

Sakura had pulled up a stool to sit beside Sasuke who lied unconsciously in the hospital bed. Naruto stood nearby, hovering and a frown marring his face. I was the furthest of the two. What was the point of physically getting closer to an injured person, like Sakura? Sasuke wasn't going to automatically wake up if  I did.

"Sasuke-kun," she whispered, holding his hand with tears in her eyes.

"It's okay, Sakura-chan, don't cry," Naruto said, hoping to comfort her, but his words went through one ear and out the other.

Looking at the trio, I understood they all had a bond holding and connecting them together, despite their rude words (Sakura towards Naruto/Naruto and Sasuke)or actions. They truly cared for each other, and there was no doubt in my mind that Sakura would be in tears if Naruto was in a coma or had gotten severely injured.

How did Sasuke get hurt? From the second stage of the Chunin Exams, of course. We entered the Forest of Death on Proctor Anko's directions, and right from the start, we ran into trouble. Or maybe trouble ran into us.

Moving on, according to Sakura, I was being the most unhelpful person on the team and was the sole reason that her precious Sasuke-kun was hurt. I responded by saying that Sasuke should have seen expected strong competitors and should have prepared himself for such dangers.

Then Sakura continued badgering me about how I was a teammate who should have protected them all, because I had an army to do my bidding. I answered that if everyone to rely on me, we might as well take the Chunin Exams individually.

"Aisu, a word?" I looked over at the door to see our Sensei enter Sasuke's hospital room.

"Hai, Sensei." I followed him outside to a second floor balcony. On the way, Kakashi Sensei handed me some soda and motioned me to sit down on the bench.

"I need your account of what happened during the battle," he began. "From what Sakura, possibly exaggeratedly, told me, you did nothing to prevent Sasuke and Naruto from getting hurt. She mentioned you were, and I quote, 'useless dead weight'. I want you explain to me what happened."

"You're not blaming me." It wasn't a question, but he confirmed it with a nod.

"Sakura is right. I didn't do much. I followed Team Seven and protected myself and only myself. When the attacker stepped came, I stood back and watched. However, I took down every single attacker that came towards me, so in truth, I did lower the number of enemies by quite a few. I just didn't choose to approach them." 

Kakashi Sensei leaned on the railing of the balcony, staring thoughtfully at the clear sky. "What happened with Sasuke and Naruto? Sakura said you refused to help them."

"I didn't help them. It was an opportunity to show their capabilities and strengths. There's no point for me to hold their hands and walk them through the exams."

"Hardships must be experienced and remembered, eh?" Kakashi Sensei summarized. I stayed silent, the condensation from the soda can dripping down my fingers. I held it over the railing and dropped it, knowing one of the corpse would catch it.

"Okay, thank you, Aisu. Remember to cooperate with the team and step into battles that look like they may go out of control, alright?" With that, he turned and left.

"Guide me." I watched a skeleton scale the hospital building walls up to the second floor where I was and led me back to Sasuke's room. I entered and sat back down, nodding for my guide to leave.

"What did Kakashi Sensei say?" Naruto asked curiously.

"Nothing of importance."