Chapter 29

If I didn't want Jiraiya and Naruto at my back hours after I left them, I should leave them a message. So after walking two miles away from Naruto's training area, I headed back and told Naruto I "wanted" to go back home.

"But why?" He whined, looking confused at me.

"I don't feel well," I lied smoothly, rubbing my stomach for an added effect. "I don't want to slow you two down any longer and get back home before I get worse."

"Alright, I understand," Naruto muttered, turning away. He was disappointed in me, at my refusal to continue the journey with him. He knew if I had insisted that I continue the journey with him despite being unwell, he would have looked for a way to help me.

I didn't care for his approval anyways. "Tell Jiraiya when he gets back."

"Bye." Naruto didn't look back at me, his hands forming a hand symbol as he resumed training.

I turned and left, returning to my journey back home. Naruto didn't need me, and vice versa. I had no intention of helping him bring Lady Tsunade to Konoha to heal Sasuke and cure Sakura of her sorrow.

I scoffed at the notion of Naruto helping Sasuke recovery, rolling my eyes at Naruto's determination. If he loves Sakura so much, he should let (or even kill) Sasuke die. He could do his best, show everyone what a good friend he is, then make sure Sasuke is left incurable and die. Then he could be together with Sakura. The lack of determination Naruto had to have Sakura in his romantic life never ceased to amaze me. Wow.

Six days and fourteen hours, I was back in Konoha and heading to the dock, south of the main gates.

"Aisu, what are you doing?" I ignored the voice behind me as I handed the money over, paying for a set of tickets. After my pass was stamped with approval, I tucked my ticket and pass into my pocket and left the counter.

"Aisu." Kakashi Sensei seized my arm as I walked past him. He wasn't blind or dumb; he knew I would be leaving Konoha. For awhile, at least.

"Sensei," I greeted, tilting my head slightly to look at my mentor. "What is it?"

"You were traveling with Naruto." It wasn't a question, but an accusation. One of the Chunins at the gate, Izumo Kamizuki and Kotetsu Hagane, must have informed him. Kakashi Sensei expected me to be with Naruto, helping him find Lady Tsunade so that she could return to Konoha with us and heal Sasuke.

That was the main plan. Unfortunately for them, I have higher priorities.

"I was," I acknowledged. "What of it?"

"Why are you here? Where is Naruto?"

"Still trying to convince Lady Tsunade to come here. Jiraiya is with him."

"Jiraiya Sensei," Kakashi Sensei stressed. "And why are you here?" he repeated.

"I'm going to visit somewhere," I answered. "I have better things to do than to save a comrade."

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that in front of Kakashi Sensei, someone who was so attached to relationships with other people called friends. The travel office was completely deserted, and even the clerk had disappeared, so the silence was expected of course. However, the bustle from outside the building seemed to quiet and gradually fade into nothingness. Time slowed down just enough for Kakashi Sensei to stare at me in reproach and disgust.

"Aisu." I knew what he meant with just my name. He could have been like Iruka Sensei and lecture on and on how friends and comrades were important. He could have been like Asuma Sensei who would have hit my head none too gently. He could have been like any other teacher and rightfully discipline me for my heartlessness.

Except Kakshi Sensei understood me.

He understood that I truly didn't care about Naruto, Sakura, or Sasuke. I had no desire to aid them or help preserve their life as Shinobi. He understood that I was the ultimate weapon under the Ninja Law. He saw fault in the law and in me, but yet he still tried.

The only way he believed he could help me was...

"You are no longer on Team Seven."

...by letting me go.