Chapter 18

I had no intention of even taking the Chunin Exams seriously. I sat back in my chair and stared at the unturned test in front of me. The wooden pencil beside the test lay untouched. I listened contestants being thrown out of the room, some by force, others according to their teammates. I just sat there quietly and waited.

"Fifteen minutes left!"

I could finish the test now if I call a corpse to find the answer sheet and put it in my pockets without being detected. All my soldiers and servants could be summon with the tattoo on my back. If I specifically wanted to call them without being detected, a withered hand would appear from the tattoo.

"Five minutes!"

No, it was too late. I cracked my stiff neck and looked at the clock hung over the blackboard. Two minutes crawled by.

"Ten!"

I glanced around to see more than half of the Genin had put down their pencils.

"Seven!"

Sasuke was two rows away from me, Sakura was probably behind me, and Naruto was near the front.

"Four!"

More pencils hit the table. Sighs of relief echoed from different tables.

"Stop! Pencils on the table!" Ibiki Morino, the protector of the first part of the Chunin Exams stood at the front, glaring at us all. He scanned the room, his eyes narrowing at me. "Before the final question, who wants to leave?"

"Huh?"

"What?"

Morino's question seemed to have taken several people back.

"Well? This is your last chance. Leave and take your team with you." I looked at Sasuke who remained seated. Naruto most likely wouldn't stand, but Sakura might. Naruto and Sasuke both have a goal they want to reach, but Sakura and I don't. There's nothing I would gain from becoming a Chunin. My skill level already surpasses that. I don't need a title to prove my worth.

"Numbers 28 and 15 fail. Numbers 52 and 37 fail. Numbers 33 and 54 fail."

Maybe I should stand and leave. I could delay the goals of Sasuke and Naruto if I do so. I wouldn't lose anything from it.

"I'm sorry guys, but I don't think I can do it," someone said dejectedly, causing two others, presumably his teammates, to follow suit.

Then again, even if I did, there would be nothing for me to do. Missions were held off until the Chunin exams were over, and there's only so many books left in the library that I haven't read.

So I remained seated. I stared at the front aimlessly, while my ears picked up the sound of more people leaving.

Suddenly, Naruto stood up. I widened my eyes at him in surprise. But then, seconds later, I understood his actions. No, Naruto wouldn't give up.

"--I'm going to become Hokage!" he screamed defiantly. His words echoed and bounced off the walls, as if encouraging every one else.

I was right. Naruto wouldn't give up. To reach his goal, he would defy Karma himself and become the greatest ninja the world has ever seen. Then again, he was just a lot more verbal about it.

"Is that your final answer?" I turned my attention back to Morino. Not a single person stood up.

"Then...you all pass!"

I was right again. Humans are fickle creatures.