Chapter 34

All my preparations were complete. I would end the mission on Death Island, so I made sure that the island was ready for my arrival.

Now, what was the mission the Akatsuki gave me?

Lower the population of Konoha citizens. Destroy their morale if possible.

I was more interested in destroying their mental state. Would they fall into despair? Or would they try to end my mission? I wonder, what will happen? Only time will tell.

I left my apartment, my soldiers waiting back at the island, and my maids and servants ready at my beck and call.

"First stop, Academy."

Before I go deeper into my plan, I want to confirm something.

I am no murderer. I have never killed a single person in my entire life.

I leaped onto the rooftops to get a better view of the entire Academy building. I looked at my watch and counted the children until the majority of the children and teachers were at school. Then, I patiently waited.

Sure enough, I spotted the last child sprinting down the street, muttering to herself.

It was time to start.

As soon as the doors shut behind her, I looked at my watch, making sure ten minutes had gone by. With my keen senses, the smell of smoke grew stronger.

Minutes later, a Chakra barrier surrounded the building and locked all windows and doors. In other words, all students and teachers were trapped inside the building, unable to get out unless the Chakra barrier disappeared.

Simultaneously, the alarms went off in the Hokage building. This alerted everyone that there might be a potential killer in the Academy.

This was Konoha's famous Academy Lockdown.

I watched as Chunins and Jounins rush to the building, ready to find the potential killer.

But it was already too late.

I stood from my perch and began heading causally towards the Konoha port. There, I had a ship waiting for me.

Once I boarded the ship, I turned to look at the Academy building, noticing the Chakra barrier had turned from blue to red. Someone was dead, or if everything was done right...

I watched the barrier harden into a transparent red shell, preventing any attacks from damaging the barrier, while the proud, stately building lit up in flames.

...everyone in the building should be dead.

Yesterday evening, several plumbers had gone to the school to help fix the piping and had placed a special chemical in the water system to help clean out last week's pollution disaster. Apparently, a few students had connected the liquid waste pipes to the water by accident, putting the restrooms out of order. What I wanted was the chemical's poison content and its ability to fuel a fire.

I selected a specific student to be my murderer: Pyn. She had a solid record of being late to homeroom. To make extra precautions, I broke into her home and turned all the clocks in her house half an hour late.

Then, I painted the bottoms of her indoor school shoes with flint powder mixed into the paint. Once her shoes were ready, I painted the shoe locker floor with steel.

At the same time, I selected several students and teachers in order to activate my plan. I spread rumors that a killer was nearby. The killer had a fire Chakra element and was setting buildings on fire, trapping them inside, then killing people inside.

As a bonus to my plan, several houses and apartments recently were in flames. One family was having a barbecue in their yard when the wind was still strong. The wind blew the fire towards a neighboring building. With my rumors, I had already finished planting the seeds of fear into them.

Finally, everything fell into place. Pyn would get up late and rush to school, too much in a hurry to notice attentively around herself. She would dash to school and take off her outdoor shoes to change into her flint-painted indoor ones. As soon as she pushed her foot off the ground to start running, her shoes would strike against the steel floor, setting a fire spark. She would be responsible for setting the entire school on fire. While the fire might not be large at first, the fire kindle I had left on the worn wooden platforms of the shoe locker room would slowly feed the tiny fire. Then the wooden benches would catch on fire, due to the chipping and slivers of wood.

During the first several minutes of class, the students in the classrooms closest to the door would smell fire, then alert the teacher who would be frightened enough by the rumors to shut down the building. Then, the fire would spread deeper into the school, alerting more students and teachers. Students would attempt to put it out by running to the bathrooms and filling up buckets of poisoned water that would splash all over their hands and clothes. In addition, the fire enhancer inside the water along with the poison would fuel the fire. The quick-acting poison would be more than enough to take down the students and teachers. If by some chance they did survive the poison, the fire would be there to take them out.

Now, what about the teachers? Couldn't they use some water jutsu to put out the fire?

The answer to that question is the Academy Lockdown System. During wartime, no one had a confirmed way to determine which teachers were innocent or which were traitors. The lockdown system made the ground neutral, preventing all ninjas from using their elements. On the other hand, the teachers are all skilled in hand-to-hand combat, so they were not defenseless.

However, this enemy cannot be defeated through physical combat means...

I looked up to see the Death Island coming into view.

"So that's what happened, eh?"

And smiled a wicked smile.