Chapter 23

"It's an A rank mission!" Naruto cheered, fist pumping the air. "Let's go then!" 

"I'm not going." 

"What, are you scared?" Sakura sneered at me. 

"I'd rather not go either, but if it's for the sake of the village," Shikamaru sighed. "We don't need your help anyways, if you don't want to go. Pakkun and us three are enough." 

"I'll stay out of this one then," I responded, stepping back. 

"We're going to bring Sasuke back!" Naruto yelled, jumping out of a wall cavity. 

"Naruto! Wait for us!" Sakura reprimanded, looking before she leapt.  

"Stay together!" Pakkun said, leaping out as well. 

"What a drag," Shikamaru sighed, before heading out. 

"There's no need or desire for me to join them. I suppose I could take down a few ninjas..." I looked at my two skeletons hiding in the bleachers. "Come." 

They rose and stepped forward to meet me. "Don't initiate fightsIf they approach us, fight but don't kill."

There was a reason for all this. I had to leave Konoha very soon to perform the Corpse Ritual, which would take days to finish. One ninja killed was a very big thing for a Genin. The Genin would be interrogated (by doctors) and checked over. Remember, according to Konoha records, I'm still a Genin. 

If I were to kill as massive number of ninjas, no doubt, each person would be counted and questioned, and my ability would be out in the open. Considering my tight schedule, I don't have time to be interrogated for days on end. 

I don't care for the ceremony itself, but I can know it's also a duty I had promised to keep.

What do I have to lose if I leave Konoha? 

I watched a ninja spot me and after quick-stepping, he reached me, twin sais in hand. 

Sais were used to combat naginatas or yaris or wooden rods. The metal length of the weapon was used to support the forearms and the hooks could be used to disarm the enemy or create an opening. 

In this case, my opponent was trying to take me down through brute force, Genin or not. She held the twin sais forward and threw a jab at me. I jumped away and the chase began. 

One thing about using said was my opponent had to get close. I could take her on hand-to-weapon combat, or I could summon a mid-rang to long-rang weapon. 

"Crossbow." 

I felt two hands exit from my back and attach a heavy crossbow to my waist straps. The portal closed, and I whirled around to leap towards the ninja. Her eyes widened slightly but she took me on. 

On second thought, maybe I don't need that crossbow anymore. 

Even I myself am fickle. 

We clashed violently, the woman trying to hook one of my wrists down. Whenever she got close to succeeding, I would bring up my leg and jab at her arm. The cycle went on, until pinned her down using a sickle and chain from my second summoning. 

"Bye." I brought my hand down sharply on her neck and knocked her out. 

Scrash!

I looked up to see an enormous sandy cloud of smoke swirl in the air several hundred meters away. In the meantime, everyone else was creating their own dirt smoke clouds. 

"Shall we investigate?"