Chapter 17

"Aisu! There you are!" Naruto's boisterous voice echoed from a side hall, drawing me towards him. I eventually spotted Team Seven standing in the hall, looking at me expectantly.

"You're late!" Sakura scolded, glaring at me, hands on her hips.

"I didn't want to," I shot back. "Besides, there's only so many books one can read in an hour."

"Well, without the whole team, we can't take the exams! We have to pass, right Sasuke-kun? "Sakura cooed at the boy. He subtly inched away from her.

"I don't care. Do what you want." I stood impassively next to them, waiting and watching. After being checked in, we climbed three staircases and headed to the first examination room. I found Kabuto readjusting his glasses as he walked among different teams and people.

"Oh, you're here," he sighed in relief. "He would like to personally meet you, Aisu-san." I kept silent as he started leading the way, only for him to walk into another team and get punched in the stomach. I picked his glasses off the floor and handed it back to him.

"Thanks, guess I wasn't really careful," Kabuto said after the ninja team left. Over here--hold on, let me talk to your team." I stood aimlessly in the room, not knowing what else to do. I had returned my library book, and I didn't care for conversations.

"Aisu! Get over here! You need to stay with us!" Sakura yelled, loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. Several people snickered at Sakura's pushy attitude as though she was the leader.

In all seriousness, we hadn't selected a leader yet. Most of our missions relied on Kakashi Sensei to order us around. Sakura wasn't experienced enough, Naruto was out of the question, and I was far too antisocial for the job. Clearly, although not the best, Sasuke would be the proposed leader.

"Why?" I whispered to her as she tried to knit Team Seven as closely as possible.

"Why what?" She shot back.

"Why do we have to stay together?" Sometimes, it was better to be separated. Naruto was the worst at hiding and staying quiet the longest. Any moment, he could make himself a target and raise red flags on the rest of us. In addition, we could gather information in four different areas in the crowd.

"Bye." The second Naruto opened his mouth, I knew I was right. There wasn't any point in hiding the fact I was with Team Seven either; Sakura had called my name, showing everyone she knew me well enough with a tone that expressed her current dislike for me.

Seconds later, Sakura was screaming at Naruto, and Sasuke tried to slip away from them. I stood there, watching Naruto be berated by Sakura for making us all a target.

"The first examination is going to begin!" A voice called from the crowd. Everyone silenced and looked at the Chunin whose eyes were covered with a forehead bandana. "First! You cannot directly attack another contestant! Second! This will be a written exam! Get your numbers and go to the next room!"

"A what?" Naruto looked pale.

"What?" I asked.

"Did he say...a written exam?" He asked nervously.

"Yes--"

"NOOOOOOOO!"