> Three <

Mafu awoke to a blinding white light. It took him a while to be able to focus his eyes to Soraru's room. The blinds had already been opened. He felt a softness under him, unlike the hard floor he remembered falling asleep on. Somehow he had ended up on the bed after all, or Soraru probably carried him onto it.

Mafu turned over onto his side and realized that Soraru wasn't in the room. Starting to panic, he pushed himself up when he heard sounds coming from downstairs. Mafu relaxed and let his body fall onto the mattress again, snuggling his face into the pillow. He picked up on a scent that he identified as Soraru's.

It was... comforting.

The sound of footsteps sounded outside the closed door. Mafu turned towards it as Soraru stepped through the doorframe. ".... You're awake," Soraru said.

"Mm."

"Mom and Dad are out already. Despite the fact that it's break for us, they still have work."

Mom and Dad. The titles still sounded unfamiliar to Mafu. After a short while, Soraru spoke up again, "I made us breakfast. Come downstairs when you're done getting ready."

Soraru exited the room, and Mafu threw his legs over the side of the bed. He spotted Mafuteru placed on the folded blanket on the floor. Picking him up, Mafu headed into the bathroom, closing the door as he walked in.

When Mafu didn't come down for a while, Soraru went upstairs to check on him. Through the bathroom door, a soft hum could be heard, and when Soraru neared, he slowed to a stop. It was like nothing he had heard before.

Is Mafu-kun..... singing?

The sound of Mafu's quiet melody leaked out the door to where Soraru stood, listening. His voice was smooth and slightly higher pitched. It was beautiful. Soraru was mesmerized.

Soraru regretted lifting his hand to give the door a light knock because the melody suddenly cut off. "Are you almost done?" Soraru asked lightly.

A pause.

"Yes," the reply came from the other side of the door.

After the space was enveloped in silence, Soraru waited for the tune to come back.

It never did.

Somewhat dejected, Soraru headed back downstairs, unable to get Mafu's voice out of his head. He wanted to hear it again. No, he needed to hear it again.

Soraru was sitting at the table with his chin resting in his palm when Mafu came down, still holding Mafuteru. Looking up, Soraru lit up when Mafu sat down. With a quick thank you, they both started on the meal. When the opportunity presented itself, Soraru would spare glances at Mafu.

"Hey, Mafu-kun," Soraru said when they had finished.

"Yes.... Soraru-san."

He reverted back to calling me Soraru-san.... Soraru decided against reminding Mafu that he could be less formal with him. The time that he was comfortable doing it, the  he would do it himself. "Can you sing for me?"

Mafu froze and looked up at Soraru, eyes meeting his. "Why?" he asked.

"Because I think your voice sounds lovely."

Soraru saw Mafu relax when he said that. Just a bit.

"If you really like it, then...." Mafu trailed off. Opening his mouth to sing the first note.

He sang.

--

Song: サイノウサンプラー / まふまふ 歌ってみた