>> Twenty Four <<

"Soraru-san, are you avoiding me?"

Mafu's voice was quiet, but in the already silent room, it sounded like his voice was on an amplifier to Soraru. It was a routine evening. They should be asleep, but Mafu was by the window again. There was a new moon, so it was completely dark. Soraru covered his eyes with him arm. "Mafu-kun, go to bed. You have school tomorrow. Don't make this into a recurring event," Soraru stated firmly.

No response came from Mafu. Finally, "If you don't tell me, I'll sleep on the floor again."

Soraru sucked in a breath and sat up. "You're too persistent," he said, then he opened his arms. "Come here, Mafu-kun."

He walked over towards the bed. With one more glance outside the window, Mafu crawled into Soraru's arms. "Why are you avoiding me?" he asked doggedly.

"Mafu-kun..."

"If it's something I did, then I want to know."

Soraru smiled. It seems that Mafu's learned to be more comfortable and straightforward around him. "You didn't do anything."

"Then, please tell me why you've been acting strange."

Soraru hesitated, but then brought his hand up to rub Mafu's hair. "I'm sorry, Mafu-kun," he whispered. "I really can't tell you."

It'll ruin the relationship we already have.

He could feel Mafu deflate a little at the rejection, but he didn't move. Surely, that was a good sign. They were going to get somewhere. Soraru hugged him closer as an attempt at consolation.

Things were going to be okay. Although Soraru didn't want to admit it, he was lying to himself. "Mafu-kun, go to sleep."

Mafu let out a soft sigh and rolled onto his back. Soraru watched the rise of his chest every time he breathed turn steady. He couldn't help but chuckle. Mafu was out cold.

Slowly, his eyes wandered up to Mafu's face. His eyelashes fluttered a little every now and then. It was cute. Soraru felt a burning starting up in his cheeks, and he buried his face into the pillow, willing it to stop. Not long after, Soraru also managed to doze off.